Long distance rides?

DubberBubby

Local time
10:43 PM
Was wondering what I should be looking for in terms of build for 100 mile rides. Anyone experienced wanna give a greenhorn some tips?

Very first thing is a good seat. Second thing is a suspension fork, third thing softer hand grips or decent riding gloves or both, fourth thing, comfortable eye protection, fifth thing, power and gearing and reliability, sixth thing, tool kit, at least a vice grips and a leatherman. Tubes. Spare fuel or slightly bigger tank. Quiet exhaust so you can hear yourself think lol. I'd rig up some type of speakers or wear an earbud to. I'm sure there might be some other things to but that's all i can think of right quick. Oh, make sure your bicycle wheel bearings are legit. I personally take mine apart brand new and wash all the junk Chinese "grease" if there even is any in there lol and full the hub with a needle on my grease gun with as much Lucas red and tacky as i can get in there.

@B Bassett rides these distances all the time and proves it constantly by sharing his beautiful pictures. I like the leather case on your sweet camera with that serious lense! Looking at those pictures on my phone probably doesn't do them justice! But @DubberBubby I'd recommended you check out @B Bassett's thread for sure. If you go gas engine you'll need find good mounts are a must as well.

@B Bassett rides these distances all the time and proves it constantly by sharing his beautiful pictures. I like the leather case on your sweet camera with that serious lense! Looking at those pictures on my phone probably doesn't do them justice! But @DubberBubby I'd recommended you check out @B Bassett's thread for sure. If you go gas engine you'll need find good mounts are a must as well.
Long rides and multiple long rides are way easier when fuel isn't as much of a concern. Having a small ICE (best if it's a 4-stroke) would be great for torque if/when you want speed and grunting power, and they can look beautiful, but I see more advantages to my set-up... for the kind of riding I do. If you want to ride at speeds above 35 mph regularly I suggest something with a more robust frame than a standard bicycle regardless of gas or electric, and I never suggest anyone buy a production ebike, you can build better.

Thanks on the camera lots of learning to do, the f***ers smarter than I am.

More money = better equipment = more trouble free miles
What ya want to build a gas 4 stroke, 2 stroke or Ebike

Bassett is the guy to talk with if ya want E bike high mileage. I'm all Whizzer

Attachments

• DSCF7631.JPG
    DSCF7631.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF1708.JPG
    DSCF1708.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 152
You also have to ask yourself do ya want to go 100 miles at 10 to 20 MPH or do ya want to go 100 miles at 40 to 50 MPH.
Of course with a gas bike ya gotta stick to the roads Unlike E bikes they have a lot more freedom to go where ever they want

All three can be built to do the job, a hundred mile gas tank is about $1900 cheaper than a 100 mile battery lol. Sure is nice to hear the birds chirp and roosters cackle though. 4 stokes are smoother and quieter but you simply can't beat the power to weight ratio or cost to power ratio of a well tuned 2 stroke.

All three can be built to do the job, a hundred mile gas tank is about $1900 cheaper than a 100 mile battery lol. Sure is nice to hear the birds chirp and roosters cackle though. 4 stokes are smoother and quieter but you simply can't beat the power to weight ratio or cost to power ratio of a well tuned 2 stroke.
If it's a 2-stroke motorcycle with a heavier suspension than a bicycle, and a way heavier chain and gears, then you can put that power to weight ratio to use without excessive stress on bicycle parts. But with a bicycle, a Class-1 ebike (LSEV) that can ride anywhere bikes are allowed, it's better to be able to apply the torque slower and smoother. I had a 1/4 turn throttle on a '77 500 Bultaco that when fly-swat your ass into the ground if you weren't careful. Not-so-much with a LSEV. But a 1 h.p. electric motor can run up past 50 mph with the right gearing and someone that actually wants to peddle. Hell some guy peddled a recumbent up to almost 90 mph. s**t, he'd even be able to ride the same trails I do but I bet his doesn't turn worth a crap. If you are locked to riding roads and dodging traffic then something actually made for that environment makes more sense to me. And with way over-powered electrics whether it's a 2-3000+ watt hub-motor, or a mid-drive at 2-3000+ watts, even an ICE of whatever max h.p. "they" tend to strive for... they are all going to be hard on the drive train and give a herky-jerky ride. That's why they are Class-3 or Moped and require licensing. Try doing this on something other than a Class1/2 ebike. -

Back