Long distance trips on motorized bicycles

That woman went 184 mph, towed to 120+ to make her gear ratio usable and was behind a custom dragster with a special air pocket for her. What she did was a superhuman feat nonetheless. I won't be trying it, that's for sure.
But without her dragster towing her, she'll never catch us unless it's a nub struggling to tune their carb.

i didn't mean using tht bike. but i bet she could use a racer and go just as fast. lol

Oh that reminds me to raise the saddle on my Emoped, that's slipped down. I brought a new duvet home on it yesterday, and six cushions the previous day.

I have only been overtaken once by a skinny/muscly time trial cyclist on a proper TT bicycle. He can't sustain over 400W, but then he's super-aero skinny/muscle and I'm all jacket and trousers and shopping basket on the front, so he is gettng more from his power.
Then I looked at the three position switch and saw I was on 350W so I clicked to 500W and got my smile back. 😁

My Emoped can go 25 miles before it must be charged, and that's if I take it easy.

But actually the bike can't get up a couple of short steep slopes on the bicycle path. I'm sure 2/3-to-1HP with gears is enough to go long distance. I would like to see just how long distance when drag is lessened a bit.

Oh that reminds me to raise the saddle on my Emoped, that's slipped down. I brought a new duvet home on it yesterday, and six cushions the previous day.

I have only been overtaken once by a skinny/muscly time trial cyclist on a proper TT bicycle. He can't sustain over 400W, but then he's super-aero skinny/muscle and I'm all jacket and trousers and shopping basket on the front, so he is gettng more from his power.
Then I looked at the three position switch and saw I was on 350W so I clicked to 500W and got my smile back. 😁

My Emoped can go 25 miles before it must be charged, and that's if I take it easy.

But actually the bike can't get up a couple of short steep slopes on the bicycle path. I'm sure 2/3-to-1HP with gears is enough to go long distance. I would like to see just how long distance when drag is lessened a bit.

i've wanted to build some hybrids but them electric motors and stuff are darn right outrageously priced for what ya get. for what it costs for parts, i can turn a china doll into a screaming machine and still have money left over to take my lady out somewhere nice and buy the kids new shoes and school portraits, and maybe even a gas station hotdog for myself. i'm holding off till i find the right dead old mans estate auction. lol, i just don't feel i get the same out of an electric motor as a gas powered, price wise.

It's the batteries that cost so damn much. But you can't beat the whisper quiet ride being able to talk to the rider next to you while cruising at 20 with barely any vibrations at all.
You can get 3 12v 10a SLA batteries for around 70$$ but mounting them will require a back rack and they will be pretty darn heavy...

I have 3 15 amp sla batteries I scooped up on Ebay for 15 bucks a piece and electric taped them right to the top bar lol. I had a box but it was too bulky.

But the thread is long distance trips on motorised bicycles.
My huge lump of lead on my down tube is the limit of what I can comfortably lift one wheel at a time to get up my front door step. It only gets me twenty-five miles! That's been my longest distance ride lately and become my idea of a long distance ride. 🤷‍♂️
That's with a direct drive hub motor which is more efficient at distance to the point where it is incapable of dragging me up the steepest hill.

I went on a long distance ride to the smallest church in the world. It was closed.

It is built to carry me, cargo, or a small Chinese family, but only 25 miles on a huge lump of lead, so apparently its not too great for going away for a weekend camping trip riding around the mountains. For that you need some type of lithium chemistry batteries.
I will work on that one when I'm up to it as I do actually have the 1680Wh (IIRC) batteries right here for my hybrid bike but just haven't built the means of attaching them to the bike. I think the batteries I bought might be too big. Maybe I needed a custom built battery set so they can be placed around and about in odd shaped places.
Our engines are taking up the best place for putting ordinary lithium battery packs! Ohhhhhh it would be easy enough to find a place to mount them if you don't want room to also carry fishing rods but then what's the point of the long distance ride? 🤠🎣

Last edited:
But the thread is long distance trips on motorised bicycles.
My huge lump of lead on my down tube is the limit of what I can comfortably lift one wheel at a time to get up my front door step. It only gets me twenty-five miles! That's been my longest distance ride lately and become my idea of a long distance ride. 🤷‍♂️
That's with a direct drive hub motor which is more efficient at distance to the point where it is incapable of dragging me up the steepest hill.
View attachment 91412
I went on a long distance ride to the smallest church in the world. It was closed.

It is built to carry me, cargo, or a small Chinese family, but only 25 miles on a huge lump of lead, so apparently its not too great for going away for a weekend camping trip riding around the mountains. For that you need some type of lithium chemistry batteries.
I will work on that one when I'm up to it as I do actually have the 1680Wh (IIRC) batteries right here for my hybrid bike but just haven't built the means of attaching them to the bike. I think the batteries I bought might be too big. Maybe I needed a custom built battery set so they can be placed around and about in odd shaped places.
Our engines are taking up the best place for putting ordinary lithium battery packs! Ohhhhhh it would be easy enough to find a place to mount them if you don't want room to also carry fishing rods but then what's the point of the long distance ride? 🤠🎣

long distance for me is like one tank of gas 130-180 miles, one gallon tank. i've gotten better, but 130-180 is normal on my main bike. fishing i just tow a trailer with my gear and supplies. barely slows me down at all, only when it's windy and thts where i get the lower end of the fuel economy.

Back