Long Kickstand

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
3:38 AM
Long Kickstand

Unwatch
•••
[IMG alt="LR Jerry"]https://motorbicycling.com/data/avatars/s/34/34146.jpg?1495563425[/IMG]
LR Jerry

8 minutes ago
On a few occasions my bike has fallen over. Especially after adding the ammo box to carry tools in. So I took an old kickstand cut that in half. Then I had a piece of heavy duty curtain rod but that wasn't quite long enough so I cut the curtain rod in half. I also had an old rear through axle and a 1/2" threaded rod coupling.

After cleaning everything I ran 4 mig weld lines on the kickstand and 4 mig weld lines on the axle. Then it was onto the grinding wheel. I grinded the weld lines down enough so that the kickstand fit snugly into the curtain rods and the axle fit snugly into the curtain rods and coupling.

I then mig welded the coupling to the axle. After words I fitted everything together and mig welded the curtain rods to the kickstand and axle/coupling.

Did a little touch up with the rotary tool then painted it. When the paint was dry I installed it onto the bike.
20200930_133924.jpg
20200930_150328.jpg
20200930_150948.jpg
20200930_151011.jpg

If that long one ever bends on you they make some nice ones to bolt to the rear 2 stays near the wheel and work really well. Nice job, that's the longest kick stand I've ever seen.

If that long one ever bends on you they make some nice ones to bolt to the rear 2 stays near the wheel and work really well. Nice job, that's the longest kick stand I've ever seen.

I built it pretty heavy duty so it shouldn't bend. The problem with stay kickstands is I'm top heavy so the bracing would be to low. Also those cost money and I'm on a fixed income. So I built an effective one out of materials I had around the house.

Back