Long Range,very Reliable,quiet And Comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Snow

Local time
2:46 AM
I used a Tour Easy recumbent, which is a fine bike but recumbents are not for everbody.

I mounted a 4 cycle subaru engine under the seat, ran a chain to a free wheeling front sprocket So the peddles will not turn while the motor is powering the bike, and yet I can peddle when I need to. Then the front sprocket drives the chain going to the rear 9 speed sprocket.

The results are: Will go from a standing srart with no peddling up a fairly steep incline. On the level in 4th or 5th gear at 25 mph the engine turns over at a comfortable, easy rpm and good tork to increase speed.

The engine being down low under the seat make the engine noise very low and bike handling is same as with no engine with no feeling of vibration.

The low gear feels like it will climb a telephone pole. Because the engine is new I only took it up to 25 mph but feel it will go to much higher speeds without over working the engine.

Being a quality long wheelbase recumbent the ride is very smooth and the whole bike and motor can be picked up very easly with no strain.

I have only taken it on a couple of test rides about 20 minutes each and I feel this is an excellent commute bike or just going for a long ride on a nice day. Hills are no problem and a long trip on level ground at a pretty good clip is easy to attain. Reliability also should be top notch, everything from the engine and mount system is good quality, along with the drive train. Its automatic and a very simple system overall. I am wondering what the gas milage will be. should be pretty good.

I must be really on the dumb side when it comes to this computer. I tried to post pictures for a couple of evenings with no luck. I even read the directions on this forum and still could not do it. Will try again later after I pull myself together. I would like everyone to see how simple this is and how neat it works. A few years ago I posted some pictures on this forum of my Black Phantom Whizzer and others, But now I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sorry, maybe I can do better next time.

Best Regards

Bill Snow

PS

Jerry, The Scooter Guy Is where I got a lot of the mounting parts and ideas. This guy is very good to deal with and also a big help.

Will ..I am in the same boat you are when it comes to posting pictures...directions for posting use terminology that is unfamiliar to us old dudes.....my ride is not that special so I don't want to take the time to figure it out....I did learn how to send pics to e mail address.........I would definitely like to see some pics of your bike..for sure..pm me if you want for my e mail address

Yup send away takes me like 20 seconds to upload and post pics, give me the link to the thread you want the pics posted on too :)

KiM

p.s nearly beer oclock in OZland 3pm

EDIT: Correction :: twsist top off beer:: it IS beer oclcok in OZLand...Italian sausage Danish cheese Spanish olives and cracker time too!

Last edited:
Here you go Wil

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

Nice ride mate well done!

KiM

Yep, I agree. Love the seat. That's what I need.
Those chains are set up really well, too - good job.
And Kim, well done for helping out.
... Steve

Last edited:
Yep. That should be a good reliable commuter. Good work.

Nice build. I'd like to try a recumbent someday. A touring guy I met at the laundromat says they are the only way to go long distance on.

It sure looks neat and comfortable too. After and hour on my mountain bike, I usually hurt all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back