Long Shot. Removable Gas Tank System.

yuckfoo

I really want a 14" x 3.5" cylindrical gas tank for my bike. Is there any way to fashion a tank system where the tank is removable? I'd love to be able to disconnect the fuel lines from the tank then remove the tank completely. Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished?

mark20

you could use one of those mini bike gas tanks then have an inline fuel shut off as well as one on the tank.

then weld on a large wingnut for each of the hose clamps and there you go!

Herman Klutz

The Bernzomatic propane cylinder. Find an empty one, look at the 2 minute and 30 second mark of this video, shows how to remove the valve.
That blue propane bottle is the one you want. The valve is a Schrader type valve like in your inner tube valve stem. Get the tank clean, then drill out the big valve with a 3/8 bit. Find a connector hose, drill out the inside crap so the gas ca flow from the tank to the carb. That first Schrader valve you removed? Use that as for attaching a vent pipe. I would silver solder a tube to it so that it could be oriented so that teh vent tube does not leak fuel. You need to add a fuel fill hole and cap. There are suppliers of fuel fillers or you could jury rig one out of something. If you orient the tank the right way, the vent can be on the filler cap, then you can plug the Schrader valve hole.

2 propane bottles can have the tops off cut and attached top to top, to make a longer one, then add the filler and a standard fuel pitcock. You need a welder for these. Just make sure they are empty and cleaned out before cutting and welding, are we will meet you after we are dead to tell you what you did wrong.

yuckfoo

The Bernzomatic propane cylinder. Find an empty one, look at the 2 minute and 30 second mark of this video, shows how to remove the valve.
That blue propane bottle is the one you want. The valve is a Schrader type valve like in your inner tube valve stem. Get the tank clean, then drill out the big valve with a 3/8 bit. Find a connector hose, drill out the inside crap so the gas ca flow from the tank to the carb. That first Schrader valve you removed? Use that as for attaching a vent pipe. I would silver solder a tube to it so that it could be oriented so that teh vent tube does not leak fuel. You need to add a fuel fill hole and cap. There are suppliers of fuel fillers or you could jury rig one out of something. If you orient the tank the right way, the vent can be on the filler cap, then you can plug the Schrader valve hole.

2 propane bottles can have the tops off cut and attached top to top, to make a longer one, then add the filler and a standard fuel pitcock. You need a welder for these. Just make sure they are empty and cleaned out before cutting and welding, are we will meet you after we are dead to tell you what you did wrong.
Great find! Thanks. The only problem with that particular tank (the blue one) is that it's only 14 ounces or 1/10th of a gallon. I'm hoping for a tank that is 1/2 gallon. A 14" x 3.5" cylinder gets me there. I'm trying to discover the dimensions of that tank. I'm definitely limited to 14 inches in length and 3.5 inch diameter will look really right on the bike, but I could go to 4" diameter. As you say two tanks could be welded together but I'd have to find someone to do that as I can't weld nor do I have any place to keep welding equipment.

But this video is great! Anytime I can see someone getting it done it helps me press on.

Last edited:

yuckfoo

I've also seen some nice looking oxygen tanks. The problem is they sell by contents so they never mention the dimensions of the bottle. Most people buying oxygen don't care about the size of the tank. They are also expensive. But check out looks on this one.
1613398725686.png