Long time 2 stroke rider looking to try 4 stroke, need advice

Anime2019Master

Local time
6:46 PM
So I have been riding 2 strokes a few years, now I'm considering trying my hand on a 4 stroke. The problem is I don't want a weak engine that can't do much better than my 2 stroke. My intention is to build a long distance bike, I tried a long trip on my 2 stroke, made it about 100 miles in 2 days before my drive sprocket teeth wore down and had to call it quits. Got it back up and running now, but still itching for that long distance trip, so I need to go to 4 stroke for reliability. Can I buy a 212cc from harbor freight and use it? I have a mag wheel with sprocket directly connected to the hub, so no worry about the torque ripping out my spokes. My question is can I just buy a conversion kit and would it fit? My concern is will a conversion kit work on any horizontal engine, or does the engine need to be specially converted to work with a conversion kit? I've been researching and it seems most 4 strokes have a 1" shaft, so going by that any 1" torque conversion kit would make it useable for a bike build, but I don't know enough about 4 strokes to confirm or deny, and information is hard to find.

has anyone used a standard 4 stroke engine, not one from a kit, for a bike, and if so, what, if any, modifications did you have to do to use it?

There have been several 212 builders on here. I'd suggest getting a tachometer/hour counter. Routine maintenance is a must for longevity with a 4 stroke. With my RS 35 I change the oil every 25 hours, clean the air filter every 10 hours and Sea Foam flush the engine every 100 hours. I also add Sea Foam to the gas and oil. All I've ever replaced on the engine is the spark plug; my little RS 35 is 11 years old and still going strong.

So I have been riding 2 strokes a few years, now I'm considering trying my hand on a 4 stroke. The problem is I don't want a weak engine that can't do much better than my 2 stroke. My intention is to build a long distance bike, I tried a long trip on my 2 stroke, made it about 100 miles in 2 days before my drive sprocket teeth wore down and had to call it quits. Got it back up and running now, but still itching for that long distance trip, so I need to go to 4 stroke for reliability. Can I buy a 212cc from harbor freight and use it? I have a mag wheel with sprocket directly connected to the hub, so no worry about the torque ripping out my spokes. My question is can I just buy a conversion kit and would it fit? My concern is will a conversion kit work on any horizontal engine, or does the engine need to be specially converted to work with a conversion kit? I've been researching and it seems most 4 strokes have a 1" shaft, so going by that any 1" torque conversion kit would make it useable for a bike build, but I don't know enough about 4 strokes to confirm or deny, and information is hard to find.

has anyone used a standard 4 stroke engine, not one from a kit, for a bike, and if so, what, if any, modifications did you have to do to use it?
The 196-212 Honda clone type engines aren't small, and you really need some space in the frame to fit them. If your 2t fits comfortably then a 212 won't fit.

The 196-212 Honda clone type engines aren't small, and you really need some space in the frame to fit them. If your 2t fits comfortably then a 212 won't fit.
I didn't buy a Walmart special for my 2 stroke build, I custom built it from the ground up, specifically choosing a frame with a large area on the inside, my 2 stroke takes about half the space.

I was looking at this one, made for mini bikes, so a bit smaller than the ones at harbor freight made for a mower. Might be easier to fit it in. Also includes the torque converter. All I'd need to buy is a mounting plate, assuming the cables from the two stroke build are compatible. Even if it do, it's still reasonable priced, and has the same hp as a 212.

You could piece together the items you need.... Predator 212 from HF for $140, Deathrow TAV2 converter (I got mine off Ebay) for $110. The Deathrow puts the output sprocket in a better position for bicycle duty.) You would need to fab a mount of some sort- you have most of the other parts already.
The fun part about the 212 is, box stock with a TAV2 attached, it'll get you above 40mph when you run a 52t to 60t sprocket on the back. With light mods, I hear of people getting into the 50's and I don't doubt them.

Back