Long time E-Biker tries ICE !

I completely agree..

The chopper electric kit ( without batteries ): motor, controller, throttle, etc aprox 500 $

Battery pack is a bit unique, I built it from PSI 10ah LiFePo4 cells, they are a few years old and when i got them they were the best and greatest available at 20$ US each ( x 24 cells ) + UPS shipping from taiwan + assembly parts + chargers.. etc.. i figure roughly 1500 $ EDIT :( At time of this writing, an equivalent Lipo pack could be built for 350 $ capable of much more amps.. times change fast )

Power meter 150$, front suspension setup with avid disks anther 400... the whole bike likely has 2500$ or so in it.

For that much cash i'm sure i could build one **** of a gasser, BUT the popo would be on me like ( Insert words this forum will not allow )... I have pulled up next to a few cruisers at red lights on the chopper without as much as a 2nd look from the men in blue, i wear my helmet and gloves, respect rules of the road and don't exceed posted speed limits.

I'm sure i could bolt a liquid cooled motor from a CR80 on a bike but not a chance i'd get more than a few hours on the road before getting a ticket lol..

We did go up the road to clock the HT bike, manages 50 km/h at full throttle in a tuck position.. how long can you hold these motors to the pin before they melt down ?

Last edited:
Lol, melt down?

I full throttle my two stroke constantly for miles. They can run at WOT forever, just don't jet them down until they get too lean.

You can also build a very stealthy gas bike...

The police never seem to care even though I blast around neighborhoods on my very loud HT.

Seriously ?.. cool !.. good to know.

I have been hunting the forum for an answer to this next one...

How many hours do people get out of these motors before they are considered toast ? What goes first ? crank seals ? gaskets ? wrist pins ?

If cared for, HT's can last for almost 6000 miles? It depends on a lot of factors. Mine only has 300 miles on it and it has been very reliable.

I would make your HT carb a bit richer though. These motors last the longest if they are getting enough fuel to 4 stroke occasionally.

I have built several of the HTs, but the first one I built which is my daily rider finally made its first repair request today. I ride it 20-40 miles a day, and it has around 3000-3500 miles on it. What happened was the head gasket finally gave out (and the chain tensioner broke off), which on these bikes is a 5 minute repair with a 2 dollar part. Only part that sucks is I have to order it. Other than that, the only thing I've ever replaced is the spark plug with an ngk. For 3 months of riding over 200 miles a week for less than $2 per week, I'd say it's a winner...
CareyWb

That's real impressive about all those miles and the clutch was never replaced. This is about all you can expect from a mass produced out of balance engine. If ridden with a little respect the engine should get even more miles.

:rolleyes:

This is about the same as one of the ICE guys never having any experience with electric bikes, strapping a starter motor, skateboard wheel friction drive and a SLA lawn & tractor battery to some random bike with a bunch of cable ties & saying ebikes are lame because they don't have any range and slip in the rain.

I for sure agree with the respect comment. I had a guy compaining that his motor started to act up after only 3 months. When asked what he used it for, he said for offroading and trail riding, jumping, etc. These engines are seriously not meant for that. If you care for them you will get a lot out of them, if you don't, you'll pay for it. Same for electric bikes... If you ride in the rain, don't charge the battery correctly, etc, then you have no right to complain... On a side note, as I'm waiting for my new head gasket to come in for my 5000 mile daily rider, I tried the coke can idea from a user on this site. I made a head gasket out of 4 sheets of ice house beer cans, and it worked fantiastic for about 20 miles before they burnt out and blew. Good idea though for a quick fix, although I ordered several headgaskets so I don't have to try that again...

Back