Longbike Recumbent with GEBE.

I think I saw him over on bentrideronline rubbing it in.
Them dang things are expen$ive!
They start out at $2500.00 or something.
Longbikes is the only company around still doing the Ryan/FOMAC/Avatar style recumbents. I'd like to try riding one (non-motorized) but just like with the Rohloff* hub--I'm afraid I'd feel compelled to try to buy one.....
~

*(14-speeds, about $1500)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bents

Do not have the same balance as a DF or CF frame, being a bit wobbly at the start, but once you get going, they are fine.

Going up a hill was impossible for me on the particular frame, unless the motor was on. Much easier with the other style bike frames.

They are comfy, but being so low, you have to be alert, and looking behind is somewhat difficult. Someone opens a car door in front of you, it could be nasty and very bad if they did it while you were abreast of the door.

For country cruising, general commuting or riding a bike path it is great, but not for a quick rip around or riding in hilly area.

The so called "high racers" are very fast and agile, but have not taken one for a ride.

I firmly believe the CF bikes are the best of all frame stiles, like the Rans in short or long wheelbase or the very low cost but good quality Raleigh Gruv series. Really a shame they stopped making that model. It is ideal for GEBE kit and can be had for about $250 US.

The Rans rigs are very spendy for causal riding and the frames require some extra considerations. The price makes it an odd choice for motoring only.

One of our members put a GEBE kit on a Rans and has posted comments here and a separate site on the install.

Im sure that machine can manage over 35km/h... :D

Mine is a schwinn cruiser and from memory tops out about 48km/h (57km/h downhill)and its a sit up and beg thats about as aerodynamic as a brick...

hope its running well and you are enjoying Mb'ing..

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Infinity (Ryan) look a like, home made, Did you consider getting a Tandem Left side crank with gear and running chains from the motor up. It would take 2 systems 6.5/1 8 Tooth to 52 Tooth reducers all the power would be on the chain or your legs. I need some thing to assist me in riding up hills mostly. Should go as fast as you want.
Terry

Attachments

• My-recumbent.jpg
    My-recumbent.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 517
very nice setup! i rode alaska vans bent at last years rally , i loved it , what a ride!! like anything else ya ride it for a while & your good to go!!

Looks great.
How does the belt drive system work? Slippage?
Where did you get the parts to make the rear wheel, and the belt? I see you have disc brakes, very good. What is your level speed, in Ohio if you can exceed 20mph you can be in trouble.
Terry

Attachments

• My-recumbent.jpg
    My-recumbent.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 466
Looks great.
How does the belt drive system work? Slippage?
Where did you get the parts to make the rear wheel, and the belt? I see you have disc brakes, very good. What is your level speed, in Ohio if you can exceed 20mph you can be in trouble.
Terry

this drive system is from Golden Eagle Bicycle Engines. GEBE for short.

Back