longest ride expected and stalling questions

T

twinkiex

My instruction manual says something along the lines of "do not ride for extremly long rides in very hot weather". I live in Arizona and its always very hot and what would be considered a very long ride? 20 miles? 30??
I am still in the dreaded break-in period rideing a Green Line cruiser with 48cc engine from spookytoothcycles.com. Only riding 10 minutes at 15mph.
Also, I have noticed when I stop I can either idle or hit the kill switch and stop completly, but why is it when I stall the thing it wont start up again for several minutes? I have only stalled it twice but had to let it completly cool down before it would restart. Is this normal?:-/

In five to ten minutes the motor will be as hot as its gonna get. I really don't think its gonna make a difference how long you ride it. :eek:

Also when your going down a hill,you should shut down your engine so that's like saying when you start it up again,you started over your run cycle.
So if you have some downhills,as long as you have gas,you can technically run forever.

I live outside scottsdale and ride almost every day :D
not sure of exact mileage but approx 100-150 miles/week :eek:
if I am at a light, I shut down so I'm not idling for any length :cool:
just vary your throttle a lot till your broke in and you should be fine
the stall/start prob sounds like you are flooding the carb, and then waiting for some to evaporate before it'll start again

Thanks. I figured it was flooding the carb. I have been shutting down completely at lights taking it very easy. And I shut off to go down hills.
I plan on riding to work and back everyday once its broken in. Work is about 11 miles each way and traffic is not too bad at the times I will be riding. Ideal! I will be saving so much money on gas. YAY.

Stalled it again. This time while starting it somehow. Tried to restart 30 minutes later. Still flooded. Tried another 30 minutes later. Still flooded. Same thing the first couple days. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
I open the gas line, put up the choke, turn it over, turn off the choke then peddle downhill and its just putting. Plenty of gas. Grrrr.

Stalled it again. This time while starting it somehow. Tried to restart 30 minutes later. Still flooded. Tried another 30 minutes later. Still flooded. Same thing the first couple days. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
I open the gas line, put up the choke, turn it over, turn off the choke then peddle downhill and its just putting. Plenty of gas. Grrrr.

Make sure you turn off the gas while you're waiting for the next attempt. If it's flodded, try a big hill and full throttle.

azk-yeah, thanks that what the manual said. If it was just the kill switch would it still be making the start sounds? It sounds like it wants to start but just doesnt. Same thing it did the first couple days I was riding it. Today is day 5 and I hadnt flooded it since day 2.
iride-I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
Having fun anyway. Trying to get used to all the attention and questions.

Got it going!
The instruction manual says to only ride for trips up to 30 miles. I will need a new engine soon. I plan on riding much further than that.

Back