longest ride?

Yesterday I rode from 4'900' up Millcreek Canyon nonstop 3,000'+ climb in 12 miles to give the little 35cc Subaru Gebe a thorough test. Never missed a beat nor seemed to overheat, though I pedaled like a mad rat nearly the whole way. Then rode back down and into the valley to 4,200' then back to house for a total of 4'000 gain and 4k descent in about 40 miles. I'm really pleased with this little rig and ready to take a longer ride.

that sounds like one awesome ride and a great test of your setup.

full disclosure

So I did break one spoke. Dern, I've been watching them but what they say is true - the gebe drive ring stresses the standard spokes (even though the broke spoke was not on the drive side). Never before broke a spoke in over 40 years of dirt biking and mountain biking. That's with bent rims and flattened tires and broken handlebars from extreme impacts which I fully intend to never do again.

Long ride plans should include a beefed up drive wheel. I'll get a handful of spare spokes and lace them in in the garage as necessary while I wait for a Wheelmaster wheel but wouldn't want to deal with it out on a road trip. Best to first take numerous shake down cruises close to home.

Also, it's fun and a good idea to sit down and closely inspect your rig. Think of ways to improve it while searching for the loose or worn part.

That sounds like it was one cool ride, the spoke issue is what always worried me about those spoke, belt, and chain drives. I am always worried about something failing in a large way stranding me or wrecking me. Thats been the main reason I have done friction drives for 15 years. Worst that can happen is I gotta pedal. Best is even if I don't want to pedal my standard setup pull's me up an 8% grade.

I may eventually try to find something like an antique metal tractor seat. Not use a real antique probably, but get something like it.

~

Been there! I ended up scrapping the whole bike because the seat was way too far back. It was actually hurting my back from stretching forward.

It's really not too hard to do. This was done with a Wal Mart bike rack. I recommend you use a rack that also mounts to your axle for better support but this one had a spring to it!
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=116710&postcount=23

Last September I rode from Omaha west to a small town called Benkelman NE. The trip that was planned was to go all the way to Denver to see my dad. I did what I ended up doing in 5 days. Two days out and three days back. The first day I went 210 miles and then quit counting after that. The best part was the free camping along the way across Nebraska. The people were awesome. Had two different people buy me breakfast just so they could hear about my trip. I can't wait to do it again. It was in the high 80's during the day and the 60's at night. I did not get rained on at all, though that was my biggest concern.

The one tip that I would say is most important to me is; Test out your equipment before you leave.
Example 1; My stove that I brought had only 2 settings, off and full blast, so I just burned every thing I wanted to cook
Example 2; One of the wheels on the trailer came off at 30 mph and it took me 45 minutes to figure out where it went.
Example 3; My cheap (Target) self inflating mattress popped on day three and there was no where around to buy one so I had to sleep on the ground.

If I would have tested this stuff a little more I could have fixed the problems before hand or at least been prepared for them.
Oh, I was on my Cycle Genius recumbent with a 32 cc Tanaka GEBE kit. I was also pulling a trailer. I broke three spokes and had one flat on the bike and four flats on the trailer.

If you have never tried it be sure to "Slime" up your tubes, really helps to avoid all those flats. Your making me wish I still had time for those road trips.

It's a real pain to slime the presta valves on the bike, but the trailer will be getting pre slimed tubes next time. The trailer flats were because there was no tape or rubber to cover the spoke nipples. they would just rub holes in the tubes. Another thing to think about before I leave again.

Back