longest ride?

waylow

Local time
10:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am dreaming about where I will be able to travel once my bike gets here, I get it put together, and work out all the kinks.

What is the longest trip that you have taken?
how long did it take to ride?
how many people went with you?
tips for traveling long distance?
what were the environmental conditions like for the trip?

What is the longest you have ridden your mb after engine break in was completed? what type of engine do you have? what is too long to ride? do you have a temp sensor on your engine? I think I am going to get a 20 dollar temp sensor with a lcd display for the handlebars, so I can keep an eye on engine temp.

I hope to build a very solid and reliable bike that can cover some serious distance; as well as using it as a daily commuter to class, and a grocery getter. I also just found this awesome looking trailer that doubles as a grocery cart with 20" wheels in the back, and a multi directional coaster wheel in the front.

I have been having a blast with maps.google.com making cool like 30 mile bike treks around the back roads of the Texas Hill Country. It is so beautiful here, I want to soak it in.

I am all excited about being able to take some serious cruises. haha I want to be able to ride 170 miles to surprise my family. "Surprise, I rode here on a bicycle!" haha I think that would be funny... and a good excuse to see everyone.

I know this is long and I am asking about a lot. Just chime in with your own experiences and stories. I would love to read them.

Longest trip thus far is Duane's house. Map quest says 30 miles via highway but the route I took via bike trail I had to chain up the map quest by getting distance per section and it turns out taking the bike trail is actually longer than a straight shot thru the highway.
It takes 42 miles that one way trip. Then 42 miles back.
I ran out of gas just as I entered Duane's neighborhood. Then I added gas from my gas canteen.
So it costed about a dollar and ten cents to get there one way and a dollar and ten cents to get back home.
If I would have driven my truck it would have drank more than 20 dollars. My truck gets 15 mpg.

My regular trips to Cherry Creek via bike trail is 26 miles one way. And I do this about 5 times a month.
On the average I do about 20 miles a day give or take just doing chores paying bills going to the library downtown looking for that lake nobody fishes 5 days a week while the rest of the world works.

The ride to cherry creek takes me about two hours. Duane's house add another hour.
I always ride alone. No one can help me if I break down. everyone's at work.
I count on my tool kit to keep me going.
The only thing that would stop me cold is if my rim taco's.
And I ride year round. Denver gets the bike paths cleaner than the streets at times in the winter.
I just remembered. I rode to Boulder too. I don't believe it's as far as Duane's but it's extremely hilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full suspension GEBE R/S 35. I made a one way trip of 113 miles a few months ago.
I started off going to my local area's web site and finding the safest bike routes/trails
for my trip. I searched ahead for quick pee breaks, dairy queen stop etc. I wanted to punish
and test my little engine so I left my engine running the entire time (6.5 hr) so
the stops had to be quick. I went through the drive through at the "queen". I brought
drinking water, and approx 3/4 gallon of gas. In a few "off the traffic path" areas I
put on a head set for some tunes.

Things I would change... A big a$$ seat is a must. Front handlebar pouch for easy access to water and treats.
Stop every 1.5 hrs to give your body a rest and a little engine cool down time .

Last edited:
Longest run on my bike was the last Adeliade MBc meet. 122.9Kms (76.4 miles).

Time wise we did it in stages, leasurely pace over most of the day.

We had 6 of us at one point. Mostly 5.

Environmentally it rained like cats and dogs at first, then it was fine.

My longest ride thus far is only about 10 miles.

I have to agree with one thing said earlier, buy the best seat you possibly can!!!!

It will be money WELL SPENT when you ride long distance.

I haven't taken any long rides, but as a daily commuter, I can speak to seat comfort. No matter what seat you get. Get a suspension seat post. They make cheap BMX style seats comfy. Even if your running full suspension. Set it a little looser than the frame. Also get a seat that fits. My wife get one of those wide Bell seats at Wally. I borrowed it and it wasn't comfortable at all. It didn't fit my bony butt.

Hi Low,
VA in Austin, I have been riding to work (14 miles round trip) everyday since the day I put my MB together., almost 1 month now. I love my bike, I ride it every chance I get. I am plotting a trip to San Marco. I saw your Invite on the "Let's Ride Austin" thread, I am looking forward to that 40+ mile ride. My problem is I hate riding that far alone, maybe other Austinites will ride. MOUNTAINMAN is right on "at this time my MB is my therapy session"
VA

Back