Longevity and performance of minarelli vertical cyl. on 40mm motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
2:01 AM
Anyone ran one of the minarelli hybrids long enough to see how they run? they might be the answer to chinese kit motors and their top end issues and low overall power. Probably more reliable due to cast iron bore and even wear instead of big scratches and chipping. I'm sure actual nikasil is better than whatever plating is on the chinese cylinder. I have seen that one was dynoed at nearly 8hp. I'm not really a 2 stroke guy per say they have too many issues for me, always mixing gas and buying expensive oil and the main CG problems. A minarelli cylinder, proberly balanced crank and upgraded bearings are a start but then you need a better clutch, the only heavy duty clutch I saw was sold out.

The minarelli cylinders are far superior in every way, even the cheap ones. Way better castings and port timings. Rdm is selling balanced billet cranks in a variety of strokes depending on what cylinder you want to run. He is also rebuilding cranks to any stroke you want balanced to the piston. There are also 3 different clutches to choose from that can handle any power you throw at it. Rdm sells a billet clutch disc with a extra heavy duty spring that no one is slipping yet. DLH performance also sells an external spring clutch that will never slip. And ZN1 motorsports sells a similar clutch. DLH and ZN1 can be found in the facebook groups as they don't have websites.
My polinin 70cc sport cylinder
16062388396077106249891674344313.jpg

My DLH clutch
1606238929340125106578267633396.jpg

Links for cranks
DLH clutch

A good 2t dino oil is all you need, I've used it for a long time with very few oil related issues.

if broken in right, they will outlast the motor it sits on (with proper oil ratio that is)

like Chris said, much better port work and quality casting.

i have a Minarelli horizontal on my Yamaha qt50, nearly 8000 miles and it runs like new! id bet with a good carb/pipe combo you can hit 50 easy.

So what would be better a minarelli hybrid or a KTM 50 clone with the proper mounts?. With the clone there's no outdated dry disc clutch it has automatic clutch right? also kick start. 9hp vs 7-8hp? smaller engine but makes more or the same power. Also it means you don't have to modify the bottom end or swap for a balanced crank.

Would it be cheaper to go ktm clone with custom mounts or a minarelli/cg bottom end.

Probably going to cost pretty much the same. The ktm i believe has a single speed auto clutch. While the CG has a manuel.

Also, there's 2 types of kt clones. Water and air cooled. Water cooled is more expensive and takes up more space, but you can tune it to make more power. Air cooled is more affordable and easier to mount (no radiator required) but makes less power then the water cooled one.

Is say the cg is easier to mount. But the ktm is easier to mod once you get it installed (more parts support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back