Longevity of Japan 2 strokes over Chinese 2 strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
10:41 AM
Anyone have any info or miles of a Japan made engine used on a bike? Subaru,tanaka,zenoah etc. vs a Chinese clone or similar engine to these types. Just don't know if I want to spend $300 on a 40cc engine. Any info is appreciated. I have heard they can last several times the amount of a standard HT engine. Keep in mind the setup I want to use is the GEBE belt drive and have a hard time spending $350 on 2 pieces of sheet metal/ bent flat stock, a plastic sheave and a clutch so if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative I'd like that. I do have a Mitsubishi clone with electric start and may use it with the setup.

Just put it on a bike instead of a jap engine, or get a 60ish or 49cc dirt bike engine, they haul!

I want to make a Pa legal bike and the engine I have is 49cc electric start. I'm going to get a billet rod and flywheel and springs and put the 212 on the mini chopper I cut all the mounts off and welded a flat plate so I can mount the 212. I originally wanted to get a gx270 clone but I saw the 212 was cheap and everyone uses them.
1D5387CC-6DFB-4B82-B23B-44E57A5DD83C.jpeg
DDAA3786-D1FB-41D5-9A47-C66638511C21.jpeg

I've used tanaka 2 stroke engines (the ones built before hitachi bought tanaka) fitted to GEBE and Staton-Inc.. The engines are similar to my 250 straight six Chevy pickup with one barrel Rochester carburetor: they run forever.

Last edited:
I've used tanaka 2 stroke engines (the ones built before hitachi bought tanaka) fitted to GEBE and Staton-Inc.. They are similar to my 250 straight six Chevy pickup with one barrel Rochester carburetor: they run forever.
That's what I was looking for I'm thinking about purchasing a 40cc purefire engine or a Zenoah. I wouldn't mind the price if it lasted 20k or more. I have a Mitsubishi clone with electric start and it should bolt up to the belt drive setup may run that till the engine goes and get a Japanese motor. I'm tired of the HT kit engines and want something that would last a long time.

Last edited:
The tanaka 40cc purefire engines are the ones I've used. The individual engines are still around. I don't think they are manufactured as engine only anymore. I believe that tanaka built some of the best small engines. The quality of tanaka engines may have changed since hitachi bought them out. I think the old Zenoah were among the best. The Zenoah now is not what they once were.

Last edited:
well, if it were me i would go with the Chinese engines, its how you break them in that matters.
if you have a 300$ engine vs say a 64$ ebay special, your most likely to beat the crap out of the cheap one because you get get another one for nothing, vs say a quality Japanese engine, you arnt going to run as hard because its way more out of your pocket if it breaks. thats why Japanese engines get a great reputation because the people who buy them know what there doing. vs the common fool who thinks that it dosent need oil.
also the parts are similer but the Japanese one has more quality control, vs none at all for the cheap one, the price is the quality control. ( if it breaks just buy another one)
ive had my ebay kit and the only thing to break is the muffler.
if its loud, its fast!

The metallurgy is better as well. I still have 2 ht engines I will run them for now. Just wanted to see how many miles folks have gotten with the smaller 49cc and below Japanese engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back