Looking for a competent welder...

Local time
8:55 PM
So, I tried doing a conversion. It failed. So, now I'm back to where I was a month ago, when this idea started: Having a frame custom made.

I'm a big guy (6'3", 375#) and I need a bike that won't collapse under me the first time I hit a Philly pothole. So, I'm looking for a decent welder in my area up to the task of bending some tubing, fish-mouthing some ends and stitching it all together with some serious MiG welded beads.

If anyone knows anyone, le me know. I'm not out of this thing yet! I have enough parts that if I only had a frame and forks to put it all on, I'd have a serious contender!

Mike.

Never saw anything in that list that the OP could put a Predator on.
There's always a rear rack mount. Many like me need transportation more than pretty. A custom made frame which really needs to be tig welded is going to be very expensive. He could always go for a Sportsman Flyer frame.

This company can do custom work as well.

With large people a build starts from the ground up. Meaning you need wheels that won't collapse on you.

Here my suggestions are about options instead of criticisms.

Last edited:
I literally have everything except a frame. If I can find a welder to build the frame I have designed on paper, out of thick wall 4140 steel tubing, I'll pay to have it built. Weight is irrelevant. If the whole bike tips the scales at close to 100#, that's fine. I favor strength and durability to lightweight anyday.

I literally have everything except a frame. If I can find a welder to build the frame I have designed on paper, out of thick wall 4140 steel tubing, I'll pay to have it built. Weight is irrelevant. If the whole bike tips the scales at close to 100#, that's fine. I favor strength and durability to lightweight anyday.
The Sportsman Flyer company can do custom work for you.

You could also contact David Staton. He can build you a custom frame also.

The Sportsman Flyer company can do custom work for you.

You could also contact David Staton. He can build you a custom frame also.

Went to his site. Didn't see anywhere where he does custom work. Besides, I want this done LOCALLY, to avoid shipping issues. STILL waiting for a frame that was shipped back in April.

You have to speak directly to him. David has done a lot of custom machining in the past for me. He's also had custom frames on his site before. It sounds as if round tubing is what you plan on using. Unless your design keeps it all straight, you're going to need a hydraulic bender. Meaning use of an electrician or fabricator.

I'm 6'2" and now 225 lbs but have in the past been as large as 300 lbs. You may be able to find someone in a local auto body shop that could do the work for you as a side job.

Back