Looking for a hub don't know what to look for.

There ya go if you don't like spokes go with a mag wheel. At 9 gage spokes you were talking almost solid steel wheel with a little bit of aluminum hub. They don't make bicycle hubs or rims that mate well with even 10 gage, so OVERKILL is what you had. I think the mag is more of the same but I build my wheels so don't worry about a periodic true or even a spoke replacement.

With a Bicycle you need to expect weekly maintenance if you are commuting. You have a little light weight machine that is carrying at least 4 times it's weight at 30-40 mph and physics just seems to cry out for maintenance work. Well my squeeky brakes and wheel issues and headsets that need adjustments and air in the tubes just adds up to some work.

Hmm. I found them here for a hundred bucks for a front/rear set. I don't think the seller offers them as individual wheels, but I did ask the question.

Do you guys think that the mag wheel would be stronger than a spoked wheel? I know you think this is overkill, but I really want as strong as possible. As far as getting the hubs to mate well, wheelmaster said that he drills them out to fit just fine.

hmmm. I talked to a guy at the bike shop and he said that the mag wheels would not be as strong as spoked wheels. He also made the point that once the wheel goes out of true, there is no way of adjusting it back. It looks like I will be going with wheelmaster. As far as being overkill, keep in mind I am using a solid foam tire. Contrary to the advertisements about how great they are, they do put a lot more of a beating on a wheel. Pneumatic tires have all that air to absorb impact when hitting a pothole or something, whereas foam tires only provide cushion directly underneath the rim at the point of impact. I have used them before, and this is the main reason I am going with a beastly heavy tire... I am also paranoid of getting a blowout when there is a vehicle (much less a loaded 18 wheeler) barreling up behind me.

Back