Looking for a hub don't know what to look for.

A

appye

Currently, I have the "Eagle / Velocity 26" Rear Wheel w/105g spokes" wheel from GEBE... Check the link, it is about 3/4 down the page. I do have a different rim now though.

I am going to have a 9 gauge wheel built by wheelmaster, but it is going to use the Disc Hub adapter that Andyinchville1 created. What I am looking for is a decent hub that will still be able to use the axle that is on my current wheel (it is longer than normal), while being able to accomodate a disc brake. I do not plan on using disc brakes, rather I am going to attach the sprocket to the disc brake mount on the hub itself. Can someone please point me to an inexpensive hub I can use for this project? I want to get this bike started, and I don't know what to look for in a hub that will meet these criteria. I am fine with a cheaper hub, as i don't need super light weight or any of the high performance stuff found in race bikes and the like. I just want something that is as durable as possible, can use my axle (unless longer axles are cheap and readily available) and will support a disc brake.

Basically, I want durable and cheap. Maybe there are some steel hubs that are meant to go on cheap bikes that are nice and durable?

Last edited by a moderator:
More information please

How many speeds/cogs do you need to be able to fit to the pedal side of the hub? Freewheel or Cassette? How wide does the hub need to be 135mm?

ocscully

I would not use an inexpensive hub for a wheel like that. The stress that would break a spoke will now almost certainly break the hub. Spokes are way easier to replace than hubs. I would insist on a hub manufactured with additional strength in the spoke flange areas so this will not happen.

lennyharp, I will be sure I check for that.

ocsully, I currently have 9 speeds on the wheel. Boy. that freewheel or cassette question threw me for a loop. I had to read up on it, and I need to look tomorrow to be sure, but I would think I have a cassette because the bike is not very old. As far as the width, I will measure it from end to end and report back.

appye,

i'm sure you need a 135mm o.l.d. hub with cassete gears.

you may want to look at shimano deore XT and XL disk ready hubs. these are quad bearing, double sealed hubs. very good quality.

i think you are going WAY over kill on the spoke thing, esp. since you are no longer going to be driving off them. 105g is more than enough and 10g would be a really WIDE margin of protection.

why not just get the disk hub from GEBE with 105g spokes put in it. edit, too much wait, never mind

steve

Last edited:
maybe I am going overkill on that. Keep in mind that I plan on running with a solid tire from airfreetires.com though... Maybe I will see how well the wheel holds up under the chain drive first. I do want to be able to go months without worrying about anythign but engine maintenance if possible.

maybe I am going overkill on that. Keep in mind that I plan on running with a solid tire from airfreetires.com though... Maybe I will see how well the wheel holds up under the chain drive first. I do want to be able to go months without worrying about anythign but engine maintenance if possible.
Have you considered using an all aluminum 26" 6 spoke mag wheel seeing
that you won't be using the gebe setup?
They would work with your chain drive and disc brake i think

I have only found the pair available though as I guess you wouldn't be
using the front wheel on your recumbent

I am planning to use them on a 50cc 4 stroke in frame grubee bike

They look like this.

Attachments

• MagWheels2Stroke.jpg
    MagWheels2Stroke.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 279
WOW, thanks for that, where do we find these for sale ?

do you have any specs on them , bearings, dropout fitments, etc. ?

thanks,
steve

Back