Looking for a new 80 engine?

Axl Myk

Local time
10:04 PM
The first engine kit I bought was a Ridgeyard. For a $107 engine, it ran real good out of the box. This last one I just got delivered today.
It's a nice kit. Even came with an instruction book, and a BoFeng carb. These are cheap at $99. The castings are clean of burrs.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The first engine kit I bought was a Ridgeyard. For a $107 engine, it ran real good out of the box. This last one I just got delivered today.
It's a nice kit. Even came with an instruction book, and a BoFeng carb. These are cheap at $99. The castings are clean of burrs.
That's a really clean looking cylinder head, no casting over flow. Was yours like that?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's nice to know that a good kit can be bought that cheap. Might be a whole nuther build in my near future.

I can't believe how cheap some of these kits are (link says 89.99+shipping) for everything that is included.
Even has the muffler mount strap according to pic.
It is crazy. Then you have vendors selling the exact same thing for twice as much. I wonder how they can sell them so cheap.

It is crazy. Then you have vendors selling the exact same thing for twice as much. I wonder how they can sell them so cheap.
There are a ton of factors that determine the price. One is greed of the vendor. This particular vendor may be trying to sell in volume and thus takes a smaller profit margin.

Some vendors are scummy and sell the cheap stuff as "premium" *cough bikeberry* by putting a name on it.

There are some kits that do come with some higher quality control, which is where the extra cost comes from. Not just on the motor, but also the individual parts to some degree. A good example of this would be the Silver Slant engine sold by BicycleEngines.com It's a G4 based cylinder engine with open transfers and more or less the same stuff a lot of basic kits come with, but also comes with the backing of the company who will honor a warranty claim if you have a problem. It has some upgrades in terms of performance and quality, along with that backing of a warranty, which is why it costs more.

Does that make it twice as good as the one linked here? Maybe, or maybe not. For somebody that wants the peace of mind of a warranty that is actually backed up, it would be. For someone with mechanical ability that wants to make a motorized bike on a budget, the kit linked here is perfect. Especially if you know how to do some basic port work to get the most out of it.

There are a ton of factors that determine the price. One is greed of the vendor. This particular vendor may be trying to sell in volume and thus takes a smaller profit margin.

Some vendors are scummy and sell the cheap stuff as "premium" *cough bikeberry* by putting a name on it.

There are some kits that do come with some higher quality control, which is where the extra cost comes from. Not just on the motor, but also the individual parts to some degree. A good example of this would be the Silver Slant engine sold by BicycleEngines.com It's a G4 based cylinder engine with open transfers and more or less the same stuff a lot of basic kits come with, but also comes with the backing of the company who will honor a warranty claim if you have a problem. It has some upgrades in terms of performance and quality, along with that backing of a warranty, which is why it costs more.

Does that make it twice as good as the one linked here? Maybe, or maybe not. For somebody that wants the peace of mind of a warranty that is actually backed up, it would be. For someone with mechanical ability that wants to make a motorized bike on a budget, the kit linked here is perfect. Especially if you know how to do some basic port work to get the most out of it.
Makes me wonder how much profit margin there could possibly be in an 89.00 kit? I bought the Zeda 80 kit with warranty and have been pleased with everything so far as the kit quality.

Makes me wonder how much profit margin there could possibly be in an 89.00 kit? I bought the Zeda 80 kit with warranty and have been pleased with everything so far as the kit quality.
You would probably be surprised. Alibaba has many 80cc engine kits from wholesalers. Average price per unit if you order 100 units is about $55-60. Sometimes even less. If we assume they bought those kits for 55 a pop, and sell them for 100, even if you account for other costs, that's a decent profit margin.

Heck, you can buy Phantom 85 kits from a wholesaler on Alibaba right now for $95 each if you buy 30 to 199 units. 86 each for 500 or more.

You would probably be surprised. Alibaba has many 80cc engine kits from wholesalers. Average price per unit if you order 100 units is about $55-60. Sometimes even less. If we assume they bought those kits for 55 a pop, and sell them for 100, even if you account for other costs, that's a decent profit margin.

Heck, you can buy Phantom 85 kits from a wholesaler on Alibaba right now for $95 each if you buy 30 to 199 units. 86 each for 500 or more.
If you want to go a little leg work and visit a factory or two you can get them dirt cheap, ( ala Mexico "For you Senor, almost free") Most likely less than 30 for the HT 40' container. China likes it when you visit their factories and view the operations. There are trains that will take you on tours to the factories of your choice. Once done, your selected factory will send you their very best for an incredible savings.

Back