Looking for a new rear wheel

StickNBerries

Local time
6:33 AM
I have a huffy cranbrook 2020 that I motorized, the rear wheel didn’t last very long and now I’m looking for a replacement can someone link me some good ones?

I have a huffy cranbrook 2020 that I motorized, the rear wheel didn’t last very long and now I’m looking for a replacement can someone link me some good ones?
Im going to let someone else steer you in the right direction on another wheel, but i can tell you what happened with your wheel.

These Huffy's and Hyper's, Kent's, etc....Usually from Walmart, and usually made in China, can NEVER be trusted to have properly lubricated hubs and bearings from the factory.

I have taken brand new, from the box bicycles to build them myself and the first thing i do is tear apart the wheel hubs and bearings and grease everything in sight...On two occasions doing this, i found zero lubrication on rear hubs and bearings as well as the front bearings as well.

This is a common issue...hope that helps a little...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Im going to let someone else steer you in the right direction on another wheel, but i can tell you what happened with your wheel.

These Huffy's and Hyper's, Kent's, etc....Usually from Walmart, and ususally made in China, can NEVER be trusted to have properly lubricated hubs and bearings from the factory.

I have taken brand new, from the box bicycles to build them myself and the first thing i do is tear apart the wheel hubs and bearings and grease everything in sight...On two occasions doing this, i found zero lubrication on rear hubs and bearings as well as the front bearings as well.

This is a common issue...hope that helps a little...DAMIEN
Surprisingly that wasn’t the issue, I properly lubed it and everything the issue is that the bearings are all messed up and also, the nut that holds the coaster brake is physically stuck. I’ve tried everything to get it off. As a matter of fact if I could take the brake off I could probably continue to use the wheel. The reason why I want to take of the brake is to one put the bearings and the components of the hub and to also try to convert the wheel to a freewheel.

The reason why I want to take of the brake is to one put the bearings and the components of the hub and to also try to convert the wheel to a freewheel.
I agree with your reasoning on freewheel conversion...I just completed that myself yesterday with disk brake conversion to go along with it myself.

The link below will show you here in the forum, my before and after pics of what ive just finished doing to it....DAMIEN

I successfully converted my coaster brake to a freewheel. All I did was literally just take the brake shoes out. Keep everything else in including the brake arm and still securing it to frame. Worked just fine. I think I had to tighten the cone nut tighter than normal to get it to have no slack.

If you're gonna get a new wheel, get this.

- You got the right idea, freewheel not coaster brake
- 12 gauge spokes
- All steel construction

Here's a link to one. Unfortunately its out of stock right now but its the only one I could really find. I know a guy who builds custom bike wheels locally. Maybe you can find a guy too.

Only thing is, it has a 1.25" wide rim. Sounds a little on the narrow size, I like 1.5" or larger. Might not be able to put as big of tires on.
Bikeberry.com

Last edited:
Only thing is, it has a 1.25" wide rim.
I like 1.5"-1.95" rims.
Agreed...I wouldnt use anything less than 1.5 rim on motorized and at that, it would be a one piece mag, not spoked rim...That flex factor and constant spoke adjustments due to extra torque applied to the wheel via engine/drivetrain, along with wanting to mount disk brakes is the very reason i just finished my bike conversion and there is a WOW factor of difference...Stopping power is so much better and positive with disks over coaster...DAMIEN

Last edited:
I successfully converted my coaster brake to a freewheel. All I did was literally just take the brake shoes out. Keep everything else in including the brake arm and still securing it to frame. Worked just fine. I think I had to tighten the cone nut tighter than normal to get it to have no slack.

If you're gonna get a new wheel, get this.

- You got the right idea, freewheel not coaster brake
- 12 gauge spokes
- All steel construction

Here's a link to one. Unfortunately its out of stock right now but its the only one I could really find. I know a guy who builds custom bike wheels locally. Maybe you can find a guy too.

Only thing is, it has a 1.25" wide rim. Sounds a little on the narrow size, I like 1.5" or larger. Might not be able to put as big of tires on.
Bikeberry.com
Huh what about this wheel can I just take of the spacers and get this.https://www.amazon.com/WheelMaster-Bicycle-Wheel-2-125-Steel/dp/B000AO7DC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=rear+wheel+26&qid=1613090559&sr=8-11

Huh what about this wheel can I just take of the spacers and get this.https://www.amazon.com/WheelMaster-Bicycle-Wheel-2-125-Steel/dp/B000AO7DC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=rear+wheel+26&qid=1613090559&sr=8-11
14 gauge spokes are probably just fine. I'd make sure they're pretty tight. And put on big 2.125" or 1.95" tires and keep tire pressure high.

I don't know how it works in terms of the spacers and using a multi speed hub with a single speed bike though, but idk see why it wouldn't work.

14 gauge spokes are probably just fine. I'd make sure they're pretty tight. And put on big 2.125" or 1.95" tires and keep tire pressure high.

I don't know how it works in terms of the spacers and using a multi speed hub with a single speed bike though, but idk see why it wouldn't work.
Yeah I think I’ll take your advice thanks for the help.

Where are you at? I have 2 coaster brake wheels that i don't use anymore. I'll give them to you. They've already been taken apart, lubed, and rode on. One's had one tire of riding on it the other has been rode for 2 tires. I went to multi speed on the one and electric on the other. They're just hanging on the wall in my garage.

Last edited:
Back