Looking for a tight-fitting air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

adboio

Local time
8:31 PM
Hello again! I recently bought a bike from someone on Craigslist and have been working to fix it up / get it rideable again. My current mini-project is the air filter. I ordered a 60mm filter from eBay and turns out that's way too big for this carb (apparently I can't measure), but beyond that, it doesn't even fit because it's too close to the frame. I'm guessing that's why the bike didn't come with an air filter in the first place. Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions / ideas on a filter that will fit such a tight space. I thought about putting a hose on the carb and running it back to the seat post for the air filter, but not sure if that's the best idea. I've attached a pic of the bike/carb -- it's super dirty and greasy in the photos but cleaning it up was the first thing I did when I got it home haha.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

IMG_4681 copy.jpg

IMG_9644 copy.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Here's a whole new carburetor for 10 bucks.

This NT style works great. The cool looking performance ones tend to run rich and require buying an assortment of jets until you find the perfect one. Try to resist the coolness.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The filter you sent looks like it would work, but I might just order that whole new carb... probably not a bad idea since it's only $10 and it doesn't look like the previous owner cleaned this thing once. Thanks!

When I got into this I didn't have any knowledge on this subject, especially the carburetor. I probably spent 4 to 5 hours on YouTube and also reading this forum. The stock NT carburetor sticky thread in here is awesome for info. When I first read it, it didn't make much sense. I read it again a few months later and it all fell together. Good luck.

Before you snap order that, I would wait for advice from others. They may (probably) have better advice.

Pretty much the same here. I've done a ton of bicycle work, but only a very tiny bit of engine work. I skimmed the sticky carb thread a few days ago and it made a little sense, but will definitely be reading it again more thoroughly so I know what I'm doing. Thanks again!

Sorry for rapid posts but I just had the same issue with my filter not fitting a couple days ago. It was a frame swap so in a pinch I tried to zip tie a cut sock toe over it. It worked for about a mile then the sock was so saturated with fuel mix it choked out. FYI: sock toes don't make good air filters.

Like Zak said, just buy another carb and some jets. The nt/speed carb works well and is simple to tune. I think even Willie could do it. Lol

I got the whole new carb, but I also had purchased a new cylinder and didn't realize the stud spacing was different on this so I've got a new manifold on the way :/ Another week to wait for my bike to be up and running haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back