Looking for a tight-fitting air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting the carb together is fun. What elevation are you at? I'm at 4,300 feet and I have the clip on the leanest fuel setting, towards the end of the little pin/rod. If you run rich you will get a 4 stroking, which is the cylinder only firing every two rotations instead of on every single one. You can tell by a slight loss in power and also the sound. It will go from Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to Bra Bra Bra Bra Bra Bra Bra but a lot faster than you just read it to yourself.

∆ Another post i wish i could laugh at and like. Your way up there man. What jet you running?

∆ Another post i wish i could laugh at and like. Your way up there man. What jet you running?
I'm running a 65 in my Dellorto clone but I have to choke it to start it and it won't idle until it is warm. Also, I have to correct myself. I am at 3,850 where I live now. It may be my air filter I have rigged up. Just like OP, not enough space so I have the foam from the NT filter stuck in the opening of my Dellorto clone and the clone's rubber gasket from the k&n looking filter securing it. Unfortunately I made the jet change at the same time I made the filter change so I don't know what caused my need to choke.

Does anyone else get a low memory error when they try to attach photos? Photo of set-up coming...

The carb ran the 65 and didn't need to be choked on a different engine with an offset intake. This engine always had the NT style carb until last week. I guess that is a third change in the mix. Can the intake length and angle affect fuel / air ratio? I hope I'm not hijacking a thread.
IMG_20190828_183231.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I did. Bought a cheap air filter from Autozone which is 50mm in diameter. The actual air outlet is around 20mm. To get a nice fit flush against the carb I had to modify the screw that holds the choke system in place (it sticks out about 4mm thus hitting the air filter face). I just shortened the screw a little and found a slim nut which worked well. I then plugged up the holes that the original filter used. To join the filter to the carb, I tried using a short rubber pipe with hose clamps but the problem was that there wasn't enough material on the carb to clamp to so instead I used electrical tape, wound tightly many times around the join. To stop the tape eventually slipping due to oil ingress, I used finally put a hose clamp over the it. So far it is working perfectly. Good clean air for the engine.
IMG_20190830_160406.jpg

I hope I'm not hijacking a thread.

no worries, good advice all around!!

to fix the air filter issue i ended up getting a new manifold so the carb is outside the frame now. kinda rubs on my leg but no biggie haha. now i can fit any filter i want, but just have the stock one on it now. might take the suggestion from oliver to use this other filter i got.

no worries, good advice all around!!

to fix the air filter issue i ended up getting a new manifold so the carb is outside the frame now. kinda rubs on my leg but no biggie haha. now i can fit any filter i want, but just have the stock one on it now. might take the suggestion from oliver to use this other filter i got.
They also sell shorter ones too.
PIC_3006.JPG

One benefit of the shorter ones is you can cut the end off of a stock manifold to convert your carb to spigot mount, then you can use heater hose to make an adjustable length intake runner for low end tuning/putting the carb somewhere more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back