Looking for advice and info...

senglish

Local time
10:12 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm very new to this whole idea of motorized bikes, and really want to get one, but I have some ideas about what I would like to be able to do, so I'm hoping to get some advice from the collective mind!

I can go for either a kit or a fully-assembled, I haven't decided which way to go.

Here are my questions:

Which is better, 2-stroke or 4-stroke, as far as reliability, ease of use, care and maintenance, etc.

Is it possible to assist the motor if it is engaged, for example going up a hill?

Which is the best way to have the motor connected to the bike (I've seen mention of belts and chains, and I think there is another method which attaches to the tire directly, but I'm not sure...)

If I go for the kit, what do you all think about picking up a cheap bike at WalMart? Is it better to get a higher quality bike, or do you think an inexpensive one would work fine?

Have any of you had the motor stolen from your bikes? Just curious!

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi and welcome to Motoredbikes!
Spend some time here reading and searching.
If I was unmotorized and not a fabricator, I would go with a 4 cycle kit.
Yes, you can pedal while you run.
Universally, when the question comes up, get a good quality bike, second hand is fine.

Only tip I'd recommend is to get a Japanese engine. The Chinese engines are fun, and almost like a Rite of Passage... but they're not for somebody trying to really move all the time.

2-stroke and 4-stroke doesn't matter, so much. I'd almost recommend trying a 2-stroke before trying a 4-stroke... but the 4-strokes are quieter, less messy, and sip less gasoline. 2-strokes are FUN, tho. That WEEEEEEEEEEE noise and happy feeling when you hit the power band is something we should all try before passing from this life.

As for motor theft. I have heard of a friction drive engine being stolen. The author of that thread suggested chain-driven kits to ease the risk of theft. I would have to agree, altho, the reality of the situation is that the engine is still mounted the exact same way, just about... the chain method will just help you find the thief black-handed if you're quick enough.

Back