looking for an appraisal....

m3456y

Local time
10:07 AM
I'm trying to help an older guy here in Fort Myers determine a price for his Whizzer. He claims it is a 1958 original bike that has been recently restored. He says it starts (a little hard), but runs great. I've included a few iphone shots...paint looked good - just needed pinstripes.

Well I'm not a expert but it look like he's got one of a newer whizzer seats and cheng shin tires, possibly modern whizzer rims and exhaust. Those parts really hurt the value of a vintage bike. Also can't tell what engine it has. but looks vintage. Maybe $2000 to $3000 if he changes those items. Nice bike though!

Yes, you are correct on the tires and seat. He should also replace the pedals...but as it sits what's your best guess? I told him I thought $1,800-$2,2000... But there are many more knowledgable people on this forum than me!

I'd say your in the ballpark! If he was to put that bike on eBay I'd start it at $1500 or a little higher. Too high no one will bid on it. Put it on Craigslist for $3000 and see what happens. Or list it on eBay as Make Offer. You don't have to accept anything!

what's the engine number? It's next to the oil drain plug. A picture of the other side of the engine would help too.

The pipe is NE also as I would guess exhaust manifold, that is not helping his bike, with the 24" wheels, 26" fenders, Taiwan saddle, and an apparently non-orig color? Those wheels are not factory NE, BUT they are not orig style either. Book rack looks like some of the re-pops I sell, also.

It is a nice looking bike at first look, BUT will require many bucks in parts if someone wants it to be "right". I would just guess that the pedal crank, stem, and bars are modern also and NOT Wald.

It would be difficult to get good money from a collector, as it needs a lot to be a true restoration, IMHO.
Mike

The pipe is NE also as I would guess exhaust manifold, that is not helping his bike, with the 24" wheels, 26" fenders, Taiwan saddle, and an apparently non-orig color? Those wheels are not factory NE, BUT they are not orig style either. Book rack looks like some of the re-pops I sell, also.

It is a nice looking bike at first look, BUT will require many bucks in parts if someone wants it to be "right". I would just guess that the pedal crank, stem, and bars are modern also and NOT Wald.

It would be difficult to get good money from a collector, as it needs a lot to be a true restoration, IMHO.
Mike

So as it sits now, what do you think he could sell it for? I don't think he wants to mess with it anymore.

Need picture from right side of motor.

The only parts that appears original is the frame and front forks. The frame looks to be a WZ/S4, and was the most popular choice for vintage Whizzer owners.

The pedal crank & pedals are from the new edition Whizzer, as are the seat, speedometer, and tires. The front hub appears to be a Schwinn Atom Knock-off, however both rims look like Worksman [really good rims]. I can't tell if the rear hub is vintage or not, but the rear belt sheave looks like the vintage style. Motor looks to be an "H", however could also be one of the disasters produced around 1992 because of the flywheel. The steel flywheel was only used on motors with the right-side cover ignition [300-S, 600-S, and 700 motors]and a picture could identify the motor series. If it has the 1992 motor and so many new edition parts is is not worth much [frame & springer fork is worth about $500.00].
If it has a real vintage motor, then the value should range between $1500. and $1800.00. If it has the 1992 motor, nobody would want it, and the only value is the frame, fork, rims, and various re-pop vintage parts [possibly the back wheel hub]. The Whizzer controls, worth about $130.00 new, clutch handle also worth about $45.00 new. Not sure about exhaust manifold and pipe [hard to tell from photos], but either way [new or vintage]it has a value of approx. $125.00. If it has the Nostalgia motor I would guess the value between $750.00 and $900.00.

This bike might be a good "first" build for someone, as there are a few vintage parts to get started.

Have fun,

Back