looking for info on a Ralph Westman N5

Bushtech

Local time
7:13 AM
New to this group, thank you. I recently purchased Model NE5 Black Panther (an '06 I believe) Frame # 010270, Engine# WME 010270.
Original owner had modifications done at Ralph Westman's in Woodstock, Illinois at time of purchase. I purchased it from the original owner's son, who inherited it a few years ago. It seems to be quite functional (I'm in Maine, so looking forward to Spring for further testing) and shows very little evidence of wear and tear....I'm pretty happy with it so far...
My issue is this: I have the paperwork that came with the bike; Owner's manual, Specs, etc. and a shipping invoice from Woodstock Whizzer Works.... but no information about what mods were done to it. I understand that Mr Westman offered 3 levels of upgrade, can anyone point me in a direction that might help me sort this out? thanks!

Check out our whizzer section, somebody there should know something. Welcome to the forum! Theres a good group here.

Yeah I would like to see some pics also, I've read a little on the Ralph built bikes.

New to this group, thank you. I recently purchased Model NE5 Black Panther (an '06 I believe) Frame # 010270, Engine# WME 010270.
Original owner had modifications done at Ralph Westman's in Woodstock, Illinois at time of purchase. I purchased it from the original owner's son, who inherited it a few years ago. It seems to be quite functional (I'm in Maine, so looking forward to Spring for further testing) and shows very little evidence of wear and tear....I'm pretty happy with it so far...
My issue is this: I have the paperwork that came with the bike; Owner's manual, Specs, etc. and a shipping invoice from Woodstock Whizzer Works.... but no information about what mods were done to it. I understand that Mr Westman offered 3 levels of upgrade, can anyone point me in a direction that might help me sort this out? thanks
Yeah, were gonna need to see pics of your Bike, Close up of the engine, Serial # badge plate on the Frame neck.

I posted something earlier about stages 1 2 3 But I deleted it. I'm not sure what ya got yet.

There are many possibilities if Ralph Upgraded it

Do you know what date the recent owner had Ralph work on it? Or was it already modified when the guy bought it?

I will tell ya that the Black Panther is a 24" bike made in 2003.
The ID date plate is riveted to the frame neck

Maybe Ralph upgraded it with a Westman WC-1 cast iron cyl or Maybe he put a Westman NE-5 cast iron cyl on it.
Maybe he used the stock head or maybe he used a Westman head.
Maybe he Upgraded the bike with the Whizzer 2006 NE-5 cyl top end kit.

If your bike has a Westman cast Iron Cyl on it then chances are that stage 2 or 3 work has been done to it.
Stage 3 would have larger stainless steel valves with brass Oilite valve guides and probably the Westman head too.

If your bike has a Westman Cast Iron Cyl on it then we can talk about the upgrades he made to make it stage 2 or 3

If your bike was upgraded with the 2006 Whizzer NE-5 cyl top end kit then we can talk about those upgrades

Model NE5 Black Panther (an '06 I believe) Frame # 010270, Engine# WME 010270.
Original owner had modifications done at Ralph Westman's in Woodstock, Illinois at time of purchase.
My issue is this: I have the paperwork that came with the bike; Owner's manual, Specs, etc. and a shipping invoice from Woodstock Whizzer Works....
Your description is confusing me some

It should have a Title that says 2006 NE-5 Black Panther if it's really a Black Panther
Whatcha mean you believe it's an 2006? ya mean your not sure?
If your not sure of the year then are you sure of the frame serial#

it would be amazing if the frame and motor had the same serial#s

The serial# ID plate will be riveted on the left side of the frame neck and the serial # will also be on a plate riveted on the frame below the bottom motor mount
Serial # for the motor will be stamped on the case above the oil drain bolt.

also date of production will be on the frame neck ID badge, all the info is on the Title too

That shipping invoice from Woodstock Whizzer Works might be when the owner had the bike fixed
is it dated 2006 and that's why ya think the bike is a 2006

How do you know the owner had the bike modified when he bought the bike. When did he buy the bike?

One reason I have so many questions is because the 2003 Black panther is a rare bike and if you got a 2006 Black Panther that's even more rare because I've never heard of one.

But if it came from Ralph anything is possible

Yeah, need some pics

BTW I run a Westman Cyl with the Ambassador head on my 2005 NE-5 W/auto clutch
I've had Westman heads but they cracked after a few thousand miles Kinda expensive too at $175 each
But the Westman Cast Iron Cyl is bullet proof

Sadly no Westman parts are available any more as Ralph has Passed, may he rest in peace

Here's a pic of My Whizzer I've had her for 16 years and put 39,828 miles on her
I ❤️ my Whizzer M/B

Attachments

• DSCF3705.JPG
    DSCF3705.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF3708.JPG
    DSCF3708.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF9343 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF9343 - Copy.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF4476.JPG
    DSCF4476.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF7049.JPG
    DSCF7049.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 137
BTW I run a Westman Cyl with the Ambassador head on my 2005 NE-5 W/auto clutch
I've had Westman heads but they cracked after a few thousand miles Kinda expensive too at $175 each
But the Westman Cast Iron Cyl is bullet proof

Sadly no Westman parts are available any more as Ralph has Passed, may he rest in peace

Here's a pic of My Whizzer I've had her for 16 years and put 39,828 miles on her
I ❤️ my Whizzer M/B
Thats gotta be one of the nicest motorized bikes i've ever seen!

Wrench, "It should have a Title that says 2006 NE-5 Black Panther if it's really a Black Panther."
A lot of state titles don't put the whole vehicle description name on it, say 2006 Whizzer and that's it, then maybe the cc size if.
In CO my truck title just says 06 chev Colorado, no extended cab description, no trim level ID. Just saying the Black Panther not being there doesn't mean it isn't that model.

Back