Loose axle/hub while riding. Please help

Packinheat

Local time
9:26 AM
Hey guys. Before I type, just want to let y'all know I'm kinda new to the whole hub building thing but I'm having a problem.

Having some serious trouble with the rear axle/ hub on the rear rim? I almost got my first build ready to go, but the rear axle/hub keeps coming loose and gets all wobbly, but when I tighten the cone nut, it becomes too tight and doesn't move at all..
Kinda new to working on hubs.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Packin

Hey guys. Before I type, just want to let y'all know I'm kinda new to the whole hub building thing but I'm having a problem.

Having some serious trouble with the rear axle/ hub on the rear rim? I almost got my first build ready to go, but the rear axle/hub keeps coming loose and gets all wobbly, but when I tighten the cone nut, it becomes too tight and doesn't move at all..
Kinda new to working on hubs.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Packin
Take the axle out and inspect everything This is the only way to know what's up

I like to put the cones just tight enough to where the axle won't turn with finger pressure. Then back one of the cones off tight by a 1/4 turn. That's usually enough to where the wheel will turn without any wobble on the axle.

Lightly and i mean ever so lightly crimp the threads where the cone nut is going to sit. Not to hard, your not trying to crush the threads. Just a little dimple on them to hold the cone still. They do this on the half axles shafts on my truck so the bearing retainer nut doesn't back off and release the preload on the cone bearings.

Get away from the cone nut it's only going to go on so far then stop giving it play n the threads.
Forgot the name but the regular axel but with the seated flange should do the trick.
Also, pull your wheel off the look carefully at the inside axel nuts suppose to be a couple of them one may be loose and dangerous condition tighten it up, if so.

Back