Loose bearings and the rumbly crudchunks.....

G

O.K., I was trying to relax from five hours with a power steering pump....

I decided to tear apart the used wheel I have and get it ready for the next build. I shortly found out not all wheels are created equal.

When I got it nearly apart.....a bunch of ball bearings fell out all over the dirty cement floor. Not quit the caged bearings I was used to in the other bikes I was working with.

I got them all (I THINK) cleaned and back in and now it's rough and rumble...not smooth. :eek:

First of all, how many balls go into each side? 10 is the count I have. Could I have ruined a ball by dropping it, or did I just get too hasty putting it back together?

Thanks!

:LOL: OOPS!! :LOL:
I don't know how many bearings ya need, but the cup oughta be full. I doubt dropping them hurt em. Have another look inside. have you ever re-done loose bearings in the headset? Now that's a treat! :LOL:

Loose bearings are better than caged bearings because you can pack one more in there and get more surface area. I'd pull it apart and have a look at the races.

Moth

prolly goes w/o saying, but...2 tips:

totally clean. i mean spotless. one crudchunk is all it takes.

totally re-packed, not just some but a lot. i use automotive high-temp front spindle grease.

Well, alrighty then...I took it all apart again, cleaned it eat-off-it clean, and even put all the bearings in my mouth one at a time to make sure they felt right. The reaces looked pretty good. I used wheel bearing grease and there was just enough room to put ten in each side.

Put it back together and it still rumbles a tiny bit. :censored:

I think I'll run it and see what happens, I have another wheel.

Compared to how it looked originally, it's very good and I couldn't tell anything riding it home from where I got it from. :???:

when you're locknut-ing the races down, mind you haven't overtightened just a bit. there's a fine fine line between just-right & too tight. could be the source of the rumble?

Now that is entirely possible. I was setting them so there was -0- freeplay in them, like caged bearings. Maybe I'll loosen them just a bit.
Thanks again.

Augidawg , when I first got to know you you came off as a person with little or no mechanical expertise. Now the more I read its wait just a sec. ( you are a mechanic arent you )

yup, have been my entire life...when i first got here i had no happy-time experience, that's changed for sure.

I knew it, I knew it!! .....T Its a shame we live so far from one another cause I got some great projects to fool around with. I got two tandum frames and a bunch of related junk. Also a go-kart and several engines including a kart race briggs raptor that screams. and lots of tools and a camper VW bus to get away from it all.............T

Last edited by a moderator:
Back