Losing Fuel Like Mad!

Hal the Elder

Local time
7:49 PM
Just before taking Oscar out for a run, my wife yelled "STOP...SHUT IT OFF...GAS IS SQUIRTING OUT", so I looked, and fuel was coming out from the carb overflow tube like a running faucet! I had to shut it off at the tank!

It looks like the float bowl valve is not stopping the flow from the tank. Can I remove the float bowl with the carb on the bike?

Thanks, and HAPPY EASTER!
HAL

Last edited:
Hal tap the bowl with a plastic screwdriver handle. That should shake the float loose. They stick once in a while at least mine does.

Jim

Last edited:
Hal, that happened to mine before, and RdKryton is right, just tap it and it'll shake the float loose. Just don't use a ball-peen hammer like I did...

...hey Quenton, will JB Weld work on a carburetor?

Last edited:
HEY JIM & CHRIS:

Tappin' on the bowl did the trick!

I must have hit a pothole, with the vertical shock unseating the fuel supply valve.

Thanks a lot!

HAL

Glad that worked for you Hal.
I don't know why the float will stick once in a while but it just does.

Jim

Hi everyone,

Sometimes a tiny dirt or loose particle finds it way into the float shut off valve and jams it open. This is often caused by loose paint chips from around the gas cap area on the tank. Many times I have cleaned a surprizing amount of particles from the float bowl.

And for future reference, Hal, don't even think or try removing the float bowl without removing the carburetor. I assure you it will only take a couple of minuites to upset you while trying to re-install the float bown and not have it leak. The reason is because of a small round rubber gasket between the float bowl and the carburetor. When a single drop of gas hits the gasket it will expand to at least 400 times the normal size, just joking, however it won't easily fit back into the groove untill it shrinks back to size [use a hair dryer or lay it in the hot sunlight and wait for it to re-size].

Any way just don't try to do it without removing the carburetor. If you ever do remove the float bowl you should check the float level. The float level on the 22 MM carburetor is 22 MM.

Have fun,

HEY QUENTON:

I've had the carb completely disassembled before, (in addition to changing the clip on the needle three times), and I remember that gasket!

Oscar and I appreciate the help and advice from all of you!

HAL

Hey guys, just a question on the design of that "overflow" valve...

My Whizzer is down again as the carb now continually leaks out the bottom 'port'. I've removed the brass, tapered screw, blew out the opening with Gumout but the gas just flows freely from the bottom of the carb.

Is this overflow from the float or just a bad seal from the brass screw to the body of the aluminum carb?

Do i need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning or get another carb?

If I remember correctly that is an overflow as well as a drain for the bowl. It sounds like your float valve is very stuck or the float may even have a hole in it and be full of fuel. Did you tap the bowl firmly? Sounds like it is time to take the carb off and check everything out. Good luck.
Jim

Back