loss of power going up hills

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine was starting to lose some power too lately so I took off the muffler and was about to do that Dax modification with a hacksaw but I couldn't get the cap off. So I let things go but I did notice a buildup of carbon on the muffler pipe that goes in the cylinder. So I scraped it off and tightened it back down. Then i proceeded to check all the other nuts. The head bolts was a little loose about 1/8 of a turn it tightened down without I would say maybe 60 poot pounds of torque according to my mental torque gauge in my brain and the intake nuts needed about a half a turn. Then I took it around the block and my power came back.
Maybe this winter I'll change out all the gaskets,clean it up some,and try to figure out how to take that muffler cap off.

The head bolts was a little loose about 1/8 of a turn it tightened down without I would say maybe 60 poot pounds of torque according to my mental torque gauge in my brain .

60 ft lbs ?! The owners manual that came with my happy time 2 stroke said 15 ft lbs for the head nuts.

Woah. I didn't give it my all...it's snug.

...I better git me a torque wrench.
It was..it turned an 1/8 of a turn without much effort....
......yea...torque wrench.
Thank God nothing went "craaack"
Naw. I'm thinking back in the auto days when standard lug nut torque is 95 ft pounds...then thinking 60 ft pounds is fairly light.
I'm pretty certain I didn't overdo it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe... I doubt that just giving it a snug is 60 ft lbs. I know what 60 ft lbs feels like. You would have to put that engine in a vice to keep it still in ordr to torque to 60 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back