Loud dry clutch on Monster 90

D

Deleted member 27734

Monster 90 build works great, but the automatic dry clutch on the left side whines loudly! Is this normal, or is there some adjustment I need to make?

Attachments

• IMG_20171213_135531.jpg
    IMG_20171213_135531.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 256
Monster 90 build works great, but the automatic dry clutch on the left side whines loudly! Is this normal, or is there some adjustment I need to make?
It whines at idle or while engaged or constantly? A little more info would go a long way in helping us help you!

It whines at idle or while engaged or constantly? A little more info would go a long way in helping us help you!
Thank you for asking that, I meant to say in the original post... It sounds nice and fine at idle when not moving, but it whines while the bike is in motion whether or not the motor is running. There is also resistance when pushing the bike with the motor off. I'm not really sure how to adjust this clutch as I'm used to my other 66cc 2-stroke.

It's to the extent that if I'm going down a hill, the clutch is significantly louder than the motor itself.

Thank you for asking that, I meant to say in the original post... It sounds nice and fine at idle when not moving, but it whines while the bike is in motion whether or not the motor is running. There is also resistance when pushing the bike with the motor off. I'm not really sure how to adjust this clutch as I'm used to my other 66cc 2-stroke.
What's the chain tension like neither should be really tight you should be able to spin the rear wheel with your hand and get atleast one full rotation free spin.If it sounds fine at idle and it's not grabing I dont think it's the clutch and if their is drag or resistance in the drive line I would adress this first and see how it sounds then.It looks quite new and pretty well done too, Still governed so it should last you a long time verry cool!

It's to the extent that if I'm going down a hill, the clutch is significantly louder than the motor itself.
It could also be that the bushing in the clutch bell has worn and allowing the bell to shift on a slight angle and be grabing the output shaft it's self and squeel from that but again that would be from to much tension on the drive chains.

It could also be that the bushing in the clutch bell has worn and allowing the bell to shift on a slight angle and be grabing the output shaft it's self and squeel from that but again that would be from to much tension on the drive chains.
I'm using a spring chain tensioner, and the chain has about a finger and a half of give as well as whatever the spring allows at speed. The drag is almost certainly originating from the clutch area. The same chain configuration worked well and quietly with 2 other motors for me.

I'm using a spring chain tensioner, and the chain has about a finger and a half of give as well as whatever the spring allows at speed. The drag is almost certainly originating from the clutch area. The same chain configuration worked well and quietly with 2 other motors for me.
I'm not super sharp on this stuff or familiar with the engine clutch config. your using, But I'm thinking if it doesn't produce the sound when the clutch is engaged, has drag when engine is off, and whines when idling then it must be something to do with the free spinning portion of the trans.. My guess would be a bearing of bushing in the clutch assy.

What about between the clutch and jackshaft there is no tensioner there and the chain could be too tight.

I'm not super sharp on this stuff or familiar with the engine clutch config. your using, But I'm thinking if it doesn't produce the sound when the clutch is engaged, has drag when engine is off, and whines when idling then it must be something to do with the free spinning portion of the trans.. My guess would be a bearing of bushing in the clutch assy.
That would be my guess aswell since he said it doesn't whine it idle but does with the engine not running moving forward.

Back