Loud pop, bad smell, ATV died

Charles C

Local time
3:48 PM
I am a new ATV owner. I was handling her just fine, by her I mean my 125cc, 4 stroke, air cooled engine, single cylinder Apollo Sportrax (Larger module), until I was going down a steep hill, she picked up too much speed, and POP!!! With a bad smell of something burnt maybe, then slowly decelerates to a stop. She wants to turn over yet there is no rpm/torque for power. When I hit the power button she makes the starting noise as should, yet when I throttle nothing happens, she doesn't even
make that stronger engine throttle noise, just the starter noise. I am going to be doing a full system check today/tomorrow. Any advice will be appreciated. I will be checking her pistons, rings, carb, timing belt, and more, if you have any suggestions or previous fixed predicaments as are the same here, please do let me know, thank you very much! I am simply looking for leads. I have checked other research, yet this is incase I have missed something, or the previous articles might have. I will post updates of what has been checked off the problem list.

Attachments

• 20200319_160720.jpg
    20200319_160720.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Could be all the oil went to the front of the engine. Check to see if the plug isn't covered in oil

I am a new ATV owner. I was handling her just fine, by her I mean my 125cc, 4 stroke, air cooled engine, single cylinder Apollo Sportrax (Larger module), until I was going down a steep hill, she picked up too much speed, and POP!!! With a bad smell of something burnt maybe, then slowly decelerates to a stop. She wants to turn over yet there is no rpm/torque for power. When I hit the power button she makes the starting noise as should, yet when I throttle nothing happens, she doesn't evenView attachment 93793 make that stronger engine throttle noise, just the starter noise. I am going to be doing a full system check today/tomorrow. Any advice will be appreciated. I will be checking her pistons, rings, carb, timing belt, and more, if you have any suggestions or previous fixed predicaments as are the same here, please do let me know, thank you very much! I am simply looking for leads. I have checked other research, yet this is incase I have missed something, or the previous articles might have. I will post updates of what has been checked off the problem list.
Hmmm, check the valves, they could be bent from overrevving the engine. Id pull the head to preform a leak test.
Also does it still run fine just no power? Could be that the belt on the cvt is warped or screched too much. Timing chain could have jumped as well (valves would be bent as well)
Lots of possibilitys.
Good luck!

Back