Engine Trouble Loud pop noise, dead engine, acceleration w/o throttle

the black thing on cable...i can only think you mean slide?

yes, they go in one way only. theres a slot on the side that cable tucks into. inside the carb, theres a small brass pin. opposite the idle screw.

slot and pin engage, keeping slide straight. any other direction and theyll jam.

the black stuff, the oily goop, it wont smell like oil or gas as its BURNT.

look really close at the exhaust gasket, then forget it.

pop cylinder head off. 4 nuts. any leakage past the head gasket is obvious with just a glance. a big brown black streak, or even a section missing... if its clean alloy all round, its fine. ditto head and cylinder faces. clean is good, streaks are leaks...

could be you have a 66 with one of the slant heads that caused me to badmouth 66's? some warp. mine did :) once again, the marks are obvious upon dismantling.

the only other leaks i forgot to mention!

undo magneto cover. if theres any oily residue in here, the crank seals leaking.

ditto on the clutch side. remove cover, check around small crank gear. leaks stand out like sore thumbs.

first thing to do with leaks is to clean everything really well, then run it just a little & look for first place oil shows up - no oil, run it a bit more & look again - repeat as needed

Well it seems to be coming out of either the exhaust port (which I don't see how that's possible- brand new cylinder body & exhaust gasket) or the place where the head meets the cylinder body. I guess it's a blown head gasket. Although the head gasket itself looks fine; no scratches, bumps, breaks, or nicks.

sometimes exhaust flanges are crooked and need filing to make a good seal - you do have a hanger on the muffler to keep it from shaking loose don't you

the exhaust always leaks. its a way to make sure the engines running, as the muffler is so effective :)

remove the head. inspect gasket, any large scorched patches, or streaks where an OBVIOUS LEAK has occurred, means it HAS leaked. otherwise, replace head and do it up, tight. in a cross pattern on the studs, slowly and evenly, a bit at a time. then forget about black stuff, and start concentrating on if this bike is running correctly now or not.

all the way back to the beginning again...is the plug tight?

Back