Wheels Love Hate Relationship [wheel bearings]

I watched the videos again...I can do this...yes, I can do it.

I just need to figure out what to get - the video listed everything pretty well:
13mm, 15mm cone wrenches
Chain whip
Lock Ring tool - (um, which one for the Kulana?)
1/4" bearings
Clear, waterproof grease (exactly what should I get?)

I also want to invest in a bike stand. There's a guy on eBay selling what looks like a decent stand for under $50 to your doorstep...$20 of that is shipping, so maybe I'll get that too. It's such a PITA to have to drain the gas and turn it upside down to pull off tires.
If you guys can tell me which Lock Ring tool to use, I'll give it a shot.

Hi Mark,

I just finished going through my new Blue Moondog I got from eBay. The bearings are the caged type and they were all pretty dry. I removed the cassette by using a chainwhip and a screwdriver and hammer to loosen the lock ring. The only problem is that I could not figure how to remove the freehub to get to the bearing behind it. I took off the opposite side bearing and packed grease down between the axle and hub to lube the freehub side bearing. If you have to replace the bearings and are able to remove the freehub, let me know how. Thanks. BTW here is what I use to work on my bike when I have to remove or spin the wheels. These are also at walmart for about $15.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=95803

I may be wrong with the Moondog, but with my bike, after removing the cassette, you remove the motor side locknut and cone, then the axel comes out thru the peddle side complete with locknut and cone, and the bearings are right there, just pop them out. DO NOT adjust the locking nut or cone on the peddle side....

I think what I may do is ride it back up there, and pay them to do the job, then have them tell me which tool to get so I can do it myself in the future.

These guys at Bike America are SO FREAKIN' COOL!

I ended up spending like $25 for the tools and good grease for the bearings.
He knew about the bike, and sold me the Park FR5 (I think - I'll change the post when I get home if it's wrong), and the 2 cone wrenches: 13/14 and 15/16. Told me that I did not need the whip wrench.

He also suggested that I do NOT switch to loose ball bearings, and I'll take that advice for now.

But I'm happy again (gee, do I sound emotional about my bike or what???) and I'm glad I have the tools to make everything perfect myself now.

I will re-grease the fronts too, just for kicks, and know that it was done right.

I just repacked my rear wheel, it's not that hard. Having a motor means more maintenence, so it's good to learn. Probably it just requires an adjustment. I found this good site for bike repair instruction:
http://bicycletutor.com/

Did it!

Good call SRDave! You were right. The bearings, btw, were just about DRY!

Here's what you need to do this:
http://bicycletutor.com/ Find the video and watch it on greasing the bearings.

Tools:
Cone wrenches: 13, 15, 17
Lock Ring tool: Park FR1 (not 5)
BIG Monkey wrench so you don't get cut knuckles when the nut loosens, because you will need to put some muscle into it.

Follow the video.
The Kulana comes with caged bearings. I just reused them, because they were fine.

Take your time, be patient, use LOTS of good grease.

THANKS EVERYONE - I already took it for a test ride, and I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY again!

Next time I whine about the bike, someone please slap me. :)

Gnite!

Last edited:
Back