Loving my new Staton Honda GX35 friction drive

Roadwarrior

Local time
4:17 PM
After several years messing around with a Happy Time bike, constantly fiddling with it and afraid to go to far from home I decided to try something a little more reliable. I am so glad I did. The first couple tanks the Honda felt underpowered and bogged, but then it started waking up. It's not as powerful as my pk80 66cc but but is it smooth and quiet. I went with a 1" roller since I'm 250 lbs and it seems a good choice. I peddle to get started and then it can pull me up any hill I've gone at. I just can't get over how quiet and smooth it runs, and no chains to mess with. I haven't had it in the rain but I've been through puddles and no problem. I've got some heavy duty wheels on order from husky cycles with drum brakes. I can't wait to take this bike on some long rides. No more Happy Time kits for me!

Once broken in that engine will be reliable for the long haul.I started on FD and regularly did 80mi round trips with ZERO problems.FD is also the easiest when it comes to tire/wheel maintenance.

The only disadvantages I see to friction drive are tire wear and wet riding conditions. Good heavy duty tires can stand up to the extra wear, but cheap tires will wear out real quick on a friction drive. And the roller is apt to slip if the tire gets wet. But that being said, if its working for you and its more reliable than a happy time, then you're ahead of the game. I know how you feel about reliability. I went from a happy time to a 98cc 4 stroke minibike engine, and I'm never looking back. Aside from some recent wheel troubles and some stalling that was due to an improperly installed petcock (my fault), she's been stone reliable from day one. I've got the wheel troubles straightened out thankfully, and now I'm good to go.

Yea Staton FD kit with a honda35 motor is a pretty sweet setup. Pretty much idiot proof too and dependable. For the money you can't beat the fun you'll get of it for years to come. Tire wear has not been an issue in my experience due to the roller. You just need to use the correct pressure on the tire, never let the roller spin on the tire when its not moving and you'll be ok. To me mabs should be simple and functional and FD serves that purpose. Can't rule out a chain drive in my future though but the same rules apply.

I used a Stanton FD for my 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5 in 2007 mainly because I didn't have to make any alternations to the basic bicycle to install the unit. Smooth and reliable power every time I've used it and the bicycle doesn't even know it's been installed. Never a problem with tire wear since I carefully adjust the pressure adjustment. I had a 1" drive that went 20 mph and changed to a 1 1/8" and now have a 25 mph top speed. Worth every penny.

Slap a HS 49cc on that Motman and you'll be really happy. Plug n play no mods needed.

Did a 60km ride today, used 1.2 litres of gas. The Honda GX35 runs so smooth. Pulls 20mph comfortably, I only need to pedal assist on the steepest hills, but the engine does most of the work. I am very happy with this setup.

I must say David is a really good dealer to do business with. My crank drive kit has been very reliable. Thanks to David I now have the only gas powered bicycle in the world which shifts 5 gears automatically.

Did a 60km ride today, used 1.2 litres of gas. The Honda GX35 runs so smooth. Pulls 20mph comfortably, I only need to pedal assist on the steepest hills, but the engine does most of the work. I am very happy with this setup.
Hi there.i just got honda gx35 engine and i have 428/1 staton gear box.i cant find anywhere but can u tell me how to couple enginr and staton kit?is there any part goes between them.thanks

Back