Engine Trouble Low power after remounting engine to new bicycle

excess smoke means you have fuel in the bottom end - it sometimes takes an hour of running to get it all out so it can run right again

excess smoke means you have fuel in the bottom end - it sometimes takes an hour of running to get it all out so it can run right again
It stopped smoking as much once I changed the clip on the slide. Do you predict that there is still fuel in the bottom end causing it to run poorly? If so, should I let the engine idle for a long time on my current tune? Or should I tune rich and idle? Does it differ?

These engines run quite well when they are to lean. They just won't run quite well quite long. I wouldn't go any less than a #68 in the summer and #70 in the winter. These numbers are based on a chart and are lower than the chart suggests but if your engine won't run without sputtering on a 70 then you have to adjust accordingly. 5 sizes at a time is just to big of a jump to know where the right spot is.

It stopped smoking as much once I changed the clip on the slide. Do you predict that there is still fuel in the bottom end causing it to run poorly? If so, should I let the engine idle for a long time on my current tune? Or should I tune rich and idle? Does it differ?
Don't let it sit and idle. It needs the air blowing over it to keep from overheating. Just ride it till the smoke subsides.

So here's everything I am going to do after work/this weekend.

1. Gap muffler and take it for a ride
2. Purchase a new plug and run chops
3. Adjust C Clip and Jetting
4. Ride the bike around and check for performance change and smoke
5. Install new throttle assembly
6. Install new clutch cable and lever (once delivered)

I will get back to you guys once I do everything. I can also provide videos and pictures if necessary.
I appreciate the help. This forum is one of the greatest places on the internet!

Update

Absolutely no performance increase between various jets and clip settings.

Muffler gap gave a slight performance boost by nothing crazy

I'm still stuck at the same speed. It doesn't bog or stutter, it just simply won't go any faster. I have adjusted the throttle cable in all spot and it doesn't change.

I ordered a new cdi as well that should arrive next week.

There Is no excess smoke and it idles fine

This is driving me CRAZY

OK so do you happen to have a pull start installed on this? A sudden jerk shouldn't do much unless you jammed up the chain while the engine was running hot. Smoke kind of sounds odd... Did you do that compression check? Maybe an odd sense I been here before, take a look at the rings, make sure the retaining pin is still in the piston and the ring isn't skirting around all willy-nilly in its groove.

if it is idling OK, then get a spray bottle of water and start misting all around the motor looking for someplace that makes idle slow down

if that does nothing, then bike may have wheel binding or chain binding or maybe motor is used up

Back