Engine Trouble Low power after remounting engine to new bicycle

depends on whether they broke because of being misaligned, or maybe dug a long gouge into cylinder wall

ride the new motor while reading and trying to fix the old one - it may take quite a while to get good at this
Thank you sir. You have been a great very big help

So I could potentially fix this engine if I move the rings back in the right or is that too difficult
If they weren't there to stop you from putting the piston on then there's no good fix, buy another piston at the very least but by now the whole thing is probably on its way out.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
so many small diffs in motors that it is usually better to get a whole motor & save old one for parts

You might want to pull the jug and see if the pins are still in the piston. I haven't seen a engine yet that has lost a index pin and has not trashed the cyl. and put cute little dimples in the head and piston.

You might want to pull the jug and see if the pins are still in the piston. I haven't seen a engine yet that has lost a index pin and has not trashed the cyl. and put cute little dimples in the head and piston.
It has happened to me, with great luck and realizing the problem sooner than later, I have the piston with the small brass pin that embedded (rather loose term, more like smeared) itself in the side of the piston. The ends of the ring were a bit chewed up but so little you could still use them again if you wanted, the wall of the cylinder and piston had some good vertical scratches.

My guess is it fell out or shorn off at the perfect moment and got tossed somehow or another to a spot where it was immediately burnished into the piston.

Could have even been s**tty soft China brass, that could be soft enough not to muck up things, mind you dimples form from crushing, crushing means a squish clearance small enough to actually be capable of crushing such a small object.

If all the motors that lost a pin and also self destructed then the dimples may also be large pieces of shrapnel from said self destruction phase, not necessarily just the pin.

I already purchased a new motor and im on the road again. Currently breaking in the new engine. Would love to get the old one running again then Ill have two MB and tons of parts

It has happened to me, with great luck and realizing the problem sooner than later, I have the piston with the small brass pin that embedded (rather loose term, more like smeared) itself in the side of the piston. The ends of the ring were a bit chewed up but so little you could still use them again if you wanted, the wall of the cylinder and piston had some good vertical scratches.

My guess is it fell out or shorn off at the perfect moment and got tossed somehow or another to a spot where it was immediately burnished into the piston.

Could have even been s**tty soft China brass, that could be soft enough not to muck up things, mind you dimples form from crushing, crushing means a squish clearance small enough to actually be capable of crushing such a small object.

If all the motors that lost a pin and also self destructed then the dimples may also be large pieces of shrapnel from said self destruction phase, not necessarily just the pin.
They all leave their own fingerprints. Bearings look similar to index pins only longer, rings have sharp edges, this one is a given.View media item 60877View media item 60878

Back