Low power on load but well at idle

zoufris

Local time
3:54 AM
Hello there,

First I'm from France so sorry for my bad english :p

I have owned one of these 80cc 2 stroke engine and I have a little problem and I need your advises.

My engine is fitted with a HP carb (dellorto clone) and I bought new jets because the original one doesn’t work.

It work well and the engine is very responsive when it is at neutral gear / idle (or when I put the bike on the crutch) but when I ride it, when I engage the clutch, it don’t have any power and it seems restrained .

I can get high rpm and my top speed is around 23 km/h (14 mph)...

You can check my youtube video here:

I reach the top speed at 17 sec... I have tested lots of jets ( .52 to .70) and my problem is still here.

My ideas: Maybe a compression problem ? Or a CDI problem ?

Do you know the cause of this dysfonctionement ?

Thank you for your answers :D

Find leaks around the intake manifold by spraying with water and listening for a change in engine sound/speed.

You may have more than one problem; but the intake must be sealed first, before any other adjustments to the fuel/air mixture can be made.

Hey ! thanks for your answer. I looked closely the engine, specialy the "top gasket" and I saw this incorrect assembly (check my picture). Do you think I'm on the right track ?

1517340330-img-0109.jpg

they often look like that because the sealing of the gasket happens more toward the center - if there is no oil stain around that gasket, then it usually is good

can you get a pic of how your carb is mounted, the manifold seems upside down

There is a pic of my carb, can you confirm that I put it upside down ? Could it reduce the efficiency ?

1517347851-img-0110.jpg

There is a pic of my carb, can you confirm that I put it upside down ? Could it reduce the efficiency ?

1517347851-img-0110.jpg
I would want to get the carb closer to level than that is, so yes I'd say the intake is upside down. You may need to make a new intake gasket as you have had the engine running already so it'll probably tear the gasket when you remove the intake.

yep, that's upside down and carb will never work right that way

on another note, what do you have stuck in your motor mounts and why is there a flat plate outside of front mount (should be a curved strap there) please look at some pics of bikes to see where you went wrong - as it is, your motor will start shaking and fail again very soon

Hey,

I put yesterday evening the carb right but it changed nothing and the problem is still here. The engine has no power... After I tried to find leaks around the intake manifold with water but I didn't see anything.

Actually I don't know what to do except open the engine and check the gasket (it's my last chance I think).

My setup seems OK, what do you think ?

And yeah I stucked coconut fiber coir in the motor mounts to reduce vibrations. I ordered the motor in china and I only have a flat metal plate to stuck the engine on the bike.

Thank you for your help :D
1517504580-img-0112.jpg

Back