Lube/grease

Shleppin

Local time
5:45 AM
I'm putting my motor back together, trying to find out were to put any grease if needed?

Put a little on the clutch release ball and pin (chinese throwout bearing) and the actuating rod face. Put some on the shaft and main spring if you have it out. A lot of people put some on the clutch gear, I don't, I use a very little bit of graphite lube instead. Also, if you have the clutch gear off, there are ball bearings in the back, try to get something into them, but be careful, you don't want any grease on the clutch pads.

When putting new piston, what type of grease/ lube do I put on piston pin and what oil do I coat walls piston with? Just 2 stroke oil?

Mike

When I pulled the stock piston out there was some grease on the piston pin and rod bearing. What's the best for this?and just 2 stroke oil for the piston/walls
Thanks
Mike

Refer to advice above^^^ and below:
Just 2 stroke oil. An assembly lube like Lubriplate will foul the plug when you start it.
Maybe I should have said it COULD foul the plug. So will EP2 or any other grease if a glob of it gets on the plug. If it runs for 20 seconds without fouling the plug, you might be OK. The factory might have an assembly lube designed for 2 strokes going into storage. That sort of thing is not generally available on the retail market. Good old 2 stroke oil is all you need. I am a pedantic sort, took this sort of thing in school and lots of experience. Can talk at great length about tribology and the value of thixotropic lubricants. Unless the engine is going to set for a long time before starting there is no need for a thixotropic lube. 2 cycle oil will do.

Assembly lubes are typically a motor oil with a temperature or motion (shear) sensitive thickening agent to keep them in place until the motor is first run.

Steve

Back