M48 rebuild no start

heyhi

Local time
9:21 AM
Okay I got everything back together. Running into a few problems if you guys can help I'd appreciate it. First thing is it's not starting. It's not starting with the choke without the choke. And when I try to start it there's a bit of a squeak
My second problem is every time I pull the plug it's wet. I'll clean it throw it back on and it's wet again after I try to start.
Third issue is, I'm working on the timing. With the state of fully anticlockwise the most I could get is that the points start to open at 38,000 of an inch btdc which is less than 1 mm. It's like .965
The book calls for 1.8 to 2.2 mm before top dead center . I do have fuel to carb I do have spark. Took a little video not sure how clear it is
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HZvYNr1khVBEYpRc9.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php?2,file=265495. I have one of these installed in my carburetor if that's any help

Okay so I went from a 68 jet to a 60 and the plug is still wet. Weather isAround 20 degrees Fahrenheit . Not sure if that makes a difference. Does that mean jetting still too high? I had 65 jet on the stock engine and it was running okay. But I don't know if I had leaks

Okay I got everything back together. Running into a few problems if you guys can help I'd appreciate it. First thing is it's not starting. It's not starting with the choke without the choke. And when I try to start it there's a bit of a squeak
My second problem is every time I pull the plug it's wet. I'll clean it throw it back on and it's wet again after I try to start.
Third issue is, I'm working on the timing. With the state of fully anticlockwise the most I could get is that the points start to open at 38,000 of an inch btdc which is less than 1 mm. It's like .965
The book calls for 1.8 to 2.2 mm before top dead center . I do have fuel to carb I do have spark. Took a little video not sure how clear it is
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HZvYNr1khVBEYpRc9.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php?2,file=265495. I have one of these installed in my carburetor if that's any help
Is the key in the flywheel in the center or to one side? Did you examine the key before you put it back together?

What sparkplug? & is it new? I've seen engines loose spark once plug is screwed in & under cylinder compression. The other thing is I've seen the ground on ignition side having a intermittent connection. Check grounds at engine, coil, points. But to me it sounds like a timing issue thou.

Is the key in the flywheel in the center or to one side? Did you examine the key before you put it back together?
The key is on the crankshaft. I didn't examine it but I know it's still there. What should I be looking for?

What sparkplug? & is it new? I've seen engines loose spark once plug is screwed in & under cylinder compression. The other thing is I've seen the ground on ignition side having a intermittent connection. Check grounds at engine, coil, points. But to me it sounds like a timing issue thou.
The plug in the video is old. But I did put a new plug in after I took the video. I'm pretty sure all the grounds are good. I took good notes of where all the wires went . The connections are good I know that much. What can I do to get this timing sorted out?

With that kind of spark it should at least try to fire up. If timing is off it, I would think it should try to start, now it might be a shin breaker, cause timing is off but it should try to start. Another thing, 2 strokes can be kinda a bugger to start in cold weather.

The key is on the crankshaft. I didn't examine it but I know it's still there. What should I be looking for?
The only way to adjust the timing is to move the key on the crank, so if the crank and/or flywheel has worn down the key then the timing will be off.
The spark you showed in the video was a nice strong spark, I see no reason way it won't run.
Turn off the fuel and try starting to get rid of the rich condition, leave the fuel off and put a small amount of fuel in the throat of the carb and try to start it that way. If you get it to pop off a couple times, then you know the timing is good and the issue is fuel related.

With that kind of spark it should at least try to fire up. If timing is off it, I would think it should try to start, now it might be a shin breaker, cause timing is off but it should try to start. Another thing, 2 strokes can be kinda a bugger to start in cold weather.
Yea it's freezing out and I'm on top of this thing trying to peddle it but for some reason maybe it might be getting a little old here but I'm not peddling like I used to when I was a kid and it's a pain in the butt.

Yea it's freezing out and I'm on top of this thing trying to peddle it but for some reason maybe it might be getting a little old here but I'm not peddling like I used to when I was a kid and it's a pain in the butt.
That be frozen bum syndrome. Very common in northern climates.

Back