Mad Scientist in the Mountains

Compression alone would deter.
I wouldn't want to pull start a diesel.
Maybe with an electric starter.

If you can get it to work it would have the torque of a locomotive,man. It would RULE the hills but you would really need to beef up the drive-train. Your gearing would be taller to get some good speed on the flats so when climbing hills that's a lot of strain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UncleRice. Welcome to MBc!
Sorry I havent. Do you have some ideas?

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D}
Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

hello and welcome to MBc! personally diesel is more expensive than gasoline, why then diesel? good luck however and enjoy the ride!

We started a thread on the same topic on the same day, lol. I made a similar post here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=119327#post119327

Diesel engines (I think) are a lot heavier, but may provide more power. Plus you get the benefits of being able to use vegetable oil (needs to be heated a little to around 130F to increase viscosity) and you don't smell like gas. I've been told by someone who manufactures the Greasecar kit (greasecar.com) that for this application I'd need an electric start and I want to avoid a steel gas tank. He says I'd do better with an aluminum or plastic tank.

Anyhow, I have no idea what to do next. I may jump ship from my thread and stay at yours :)

hello and welcome to MBc! personally diesel is more expensive than gasoline, why then diesel? good luck however and enjoy the ride!

The reason is simple economics. A diesel engine engineered by competent engineers will go at least 50% farther on a gallon, and a really good diesel engine will go twice as far on a gallon. Thus if you take you gasoline price an multiply it by 1.5 you get a proper price comparison.

In addition to the possibility of burning straight vegetable oil, you can also burn biodiesel, which is more user friendly from the drivers perspective and possibly more practical for an engine this size. Biodiesel for the individual can be made from waist oil you can often get from fast food places for free. For larger scale production; however, it is best if the new algae production method is used. The exhaust that results from a biodiesel fuel engine is said to smell like fried foods and be about as environmentally friendly as frying food.

I forgot to welcome you! Thorry.

Are there even small diesel engines out there under 50cc? I mean diesels rely on compression to fire up. They don't even use a spark plug. They use a simple glow plug. The compression alone is enough to detonate the fuel along with the heat generated from the glow plug.
A high performance gas or alcohol engine you'll find 10 to 1 or sometimes even 12 to 1 compression for like dragsters and such. Normal gas engine compression for passenger vehicles are around 6 or 7 to 1 give or take. The Happy Time two stroke is even less I believe.
A typical diesel engine you're looking into the 20 to 1 zone.
Dawg. That takes a STRONG pull.
My dad had a Chevy caprice diesel back in the 80's. That puppy needed TWO batteries to start. It needed that much power to get that crazy high compression engine to fire up. And those Chevy engines didn't last for they essentially took a gas 350 and added liners to get that compression.
So like I said,you're gonna need a starter or Popeye's arms.
But if you can get it to work,that may be perfect for your mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 203
Back