Mag Wheel opinions?

OK, here's a pic of my 26" Huffy with the CDH mag wheels. I also retrofitted disc brakes on it front AND rear. It was a chore, took a lot of fabrication and thinking through a lot of problems before it all came together in working order. What do I think of the mag wheels themselves? There fine, and they still look good when I'm rolling around the streets here. The wheels haven't given me any problems to date.
One thing I did do that I now don't recommend is ordering them direct from CDH in China! Oh, they arrived fine (I ordered a front & rear set) and in a timely manner, but! Somebody there hacked my credit/paypal and I was forced to close that account for good. If they are available through Amazon (?), I'd do that. Hope that's helpful.

huffy04.jpg

huffy05_front.jpg

huffy05_rear.jpg

You could really use a 85cc dirt bike engine with 5 speeds.
Nah, too involved for me. If I used that monster of a bike I would either like to used a 750-1kw mid drive to toodle around with, or my 110. Not really aiming for high speeds with it. My main concern would be the wheels if I am honest. Spokes that long with hubs that small can make for an unstable wheel. It would be nice to up the spoke size as much as possible. In the process I could install a dynamo front hub and add disc brakes, and maybe a 3 -5 speed sturmey rear hub if I were to use the 110 and run my jackshaft setup. The rear hub would be a good upgrade for a mid drive electric as well.

To be honest the electric mid drive bike is tempting to have something to go on casual trail rides with since they are legal on the trails here.

OK, here's a pic of my 26" Huffy with the CDH mag wheels. I also retrofitted disc brakes on it front AND rear. It was a chore, took a lot of fabrication and thinking through a lot of problems before it all came together in working order. What do I think of the mag wheels themselves? There fine, and they still look good when I'm rolling around the streets here. The wheels haven't given me any problems to date.
One thing I did do that I now don't recommend is ordering them direct from CDH in China! Oh, they arrived fine (I ordered a front & rear set) and in a timely manner, but! Somebody there hacked my credit/paypal and I was forced to close that account for good. If they are available through Amazon (?), I'd do that. Hope that's helpful.
I ordered mine through Amazon so I should be protected a little better. Thank you for chiming in about the wheels and your experience with them so far.

Got my new tires and tubes in yesterday while I was working and finally got around to installing them today. It was a little bit of a guessing game as to what width of 700c tire would fit on these rims since there is almost no information out there but I wanted to try and stay close to the 40mm that the bike came with so I ordered the Continental Contact Plus ETRTO 700c x 42 (42-622) since it was the best deal of the bunch at the time at $37 each.
Tires: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7XKHCQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

For the record they fit beautifully and the tire and tube installation was one of the easiest I have ever done.

I do have to say that these tires are super impressive. They definitely were not cheap so that mattered a great deal to me. They are incredibly thick and tough on the tread side of things with a decent sidewall. They are speed rated to 31mph which is better than most of the tires I had looked at and in the 42mm width they have a maximum pressure rating of 73psi. The "white wall" stripe and lettering on the tire is also reflective which is a really nice safety touch.

I treated the tube and tire combo the same as I would a tubed motorcycle tire and used some talc powder to coat the inside of the tire and along the inner rim to help reduce friction from rubbing/vibrations. Not sure if this is entirely necessary to be honest but since I am pushing these tires on a motorized bicycle past their official ratings just a little bit I figure that it definitely cannot hurt.

I am just putting some grease in the wheel bearings since they were dry as a bone like most chinese bearings tend to be and then I need to swap over my brakes and freewheel and get them installed. So far though I am very pleased.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have been considering getting a set of Mag wheels for my 700C Kent Nazz ever since I bought it. After now having trued the rear wheel for the third time I think it might be a good idea, but I have read so many opinions back and forth on them.

When it comes to 700C mags, there are not many options that fit my requirements out there. I stumbled across a few different BMX 29" mags that look like they are good quality, but lack the front disc brake hub. I am not giving up my front disc brakes.

So that currently leaves me with one semi-affordable option, which is a set sold by CDH. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y65BFJL/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A1M3YRJD9CM01W&th=1

I can transfer my tires, tubes, rotors, and freewheel over to these guys no problem. I just need to sacrifice my rear disc brake, which is honestly ok since the front does most of the work anyway. I just need to install a rear clamp style caliper out back to at least give me some braking power back there.

I do like the fact that they use sealed roller bearings as well. I always hated the unsealed cup and cone style traditional bearings.

Yes, I know they will be a bit heavier, and that's fine. My concern is the durability. Has anybody had experience with CDH/ any other branded cheaper mag wheels on their bike? Good or bad. I welcome insight, input, and opinion.
My mags don't weigh very much at all I think they're lighter than spoke rims I'm also concerned with the safety of these I'm in constant fear if I hit a curb or bump in the road it'll shatter so far it hasn't but I've only got about 120 miles or so on them they're cheap ones too paid 170 with free wheel and 36tooth sprocket included

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
My mags don't weigh very much at all I think they're lighter than spoke rims I'm also concerned with the safety of these I'm in constant fear if I hit a curb or bump in the road it'll shatter so far it hasn't but I've only got about 120 miles or so on them they're cheap ones too paid 170 with free wheel and 36tooth sprocket included
Just saw this was an older post how did you like them

im looking for a 700c back Wheel, But I'm cheep and Cant afford no 50-100$ .. I can Buy a new Bike from Walmart for that .. lol .. let me know if you want to Sell your Old wheel .

Back