Mag Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of a clamshell but its a vast improvement over the rag joint. Just putting on a rag join snaps 2 or 3 spokes and you don't know it at the time because its being compress but later on down the road they loosen up hit a bump 1 or 2 more spokes break then a few more and next the entire rim collapses sometimes shoving spokes into the tire demolishing it.
Ha! I hear ya, I won't use the rag joint myself. I know it works if you get it right and keep it tight but it just makes sense to drive the hub and not the spokes. I put a 4 peddle reed valve on my bike and I have so much low end torque that I can snap a spoke even with the sprocket adapter. I gotta accelerate slowly on the throttle or I can put too much stress on these bicycle rims. If the spokes are too tight I can snap a spoke and if they are not tight enough the vibration will loosen them and the wheel will get out of true. This is why I decided to upgrade to some nice mag wheels.

Just a word about wide tires on narrow wheels:

I'm running 3-inch tires (and love them) but to get the most out of them you really want a wide rim, like 2 inches (50mm) wide. The only ones I've seen that wide are from Felt and ain't cheap. A wide tire on a narrow wheel makes a "light bulb" shape that leaves air space between the tube and the rim. Handling feels squishy. You can get away with a 40mm rim if you run higher pressure.

I don't know how wide these alloy wheels are, but I'd be real surprised if they're more than 30mm.

Yeah, I agree, the wider the rim the better it is. I have several wide rims and a few hubs that I can use to change out my back wheel when needed. All of my current rims are 1.25" wide or more. I was just noticing that the bikeberry ones are 26x1 inch, which is pretty thin. It says:
  • Size: 26" x 1”
  • Tire Compatibility: 26” x 1.5” – 26” x1.95” tires with Schrader valves
But I'm currently using 2.125" wide tires and would like the option to go wider in the future if I want. So maybe the Bikeberry ones are not the ones I should get. The thing is, most of the places that sell them don't say what size the rim width is, maybe I should ask them, Gasbike doesn't say but they won't ever answer any questions about their products. I've tried to ask them questions about their products in the past but they never answer their e-mails, just another reason why I don't know about buying anything from them. Can anyone tell me the width of the rim for the gasbike ones? These--> https://www.gasbike.net/collections/wheels/products/aluminum-wheels-with-44t-sprocket-black

Also, I already have a new double walled front rim, disc brake hub and I don't really need the front one. Wish I could just get 2 rear ones or buy them separately.

Last edited:
Never heard of a clamshell but its a vast improvement over the rag joint. Just putting on a rag join snaps 2 or 3 spokes and you don't know it at the time because its being compress but later on down the road they loosen up hit a bump 1 or 2 more spokes break then a few more and next the entire rim collapses sometimes shoving spokes into the tire demolishing it.
You are definitely doing it wrong if you have these kind of problems.

Yeah, I agree, the wider the rim the better it is. I have several wide rims and a few hubs that I can use to change out my back wheel when needed. All of my current rims are 1.25" wide or more. I was just noticing that the bikeberry ones are 26x1 inch, which is pretty thin. It says:
  • Size: 26" x 1”
  • Tire Compatibility: 26” x 1.5” – 26” x1.95” tires with Schrader valves
But I'm currently using 2.125" wide tires and would like the option to go wider in the future if I want. So maybe the Bikeberry ones are not the ones I should get. The thing is, most of the places that sell them don't say what size the rim width is, maybe I should ask them, Gasbike doesn't say but they won't ever answer any questions about their products. I've tried to ask them questions about their products in the past but they never answer their e-mails, just another reason why I don't know about buying anything from them. Can anyone tell me the width of the rim for the gasbike ones? These--> https://www.gasbike.net/collections/wheels/products/aluminum-wheels-with-44t-sprocket-black

Also, I already have a new double walled front rim, disc brake hub and I don't really need the front one. Wish I could just get 2 rear ones or buy them separately.
I wouldn't buy anything from gasbike. I ordered from them onece and spent almost 200 dollars and it took 6 emails and waiting on hold for god knows how long to get my parts. This was 2 weeks later mind you. with no compensation, any extras, nothing at all. They said my order was "experiencing some delays" in the emails and when I finally got someone on the phone they told me half the stuff I ordered they didn't have and was "out of stock". But I also heard that gasbike.net is a sister website to bikeberry and in a nutshell is the same company. which would make sense on the "delays" if when I ordered my parts they had to in return order them from bikeberry.

I wouldn't buy anything from gasbike. I ordered from them onece and spent almost 200 dollars and it took 6 emails and waiting on hold for god knows how long to get my parts. This was 2 weeks later mind you. with no compensation, any extras, nothing at all. They said my order was "experiencing some delays" in the emails and when I finally got someone on the phone they told me half the stuff I ordered they didn't have and was "out of stock". But I also heard that gasbike.net is a sister website to bikeberry and in a nutshell is the same company. which would make sense on the "delays" if when I ordered my parts they had to in return order them from bikeberry.

I got the same mag rims from Gazbikes.net the grove is
16-17mm wide 10mm deep reason why I say 16-17 cuz calipers read 16.320 so should be close enough.
I know what you mean by gazbikes none response took me 7 months to work out a $375.00 deal with them, oh all the guys quit in that area so on and so on.

But, one thing I have notice business using "net" instead of "com" are most likely to be rip-offs just about every net business I have done business with have done me wrong. I research net and they can avoid restrictions not allowed on com.

Thanks to all who have replied to my thread. I hate to buy from Gasbike but they are the only ones who have the rims that I want at the price I want. I was just reading their return policy which pretty much makes it clear that you cannot return anything to them, haha. I mean, just read some of these terms:

All Products must be returned in its original carton or packaging, in new and re-sellable condition within seven (7) days of delivery. “New and re-sellable condition" means that the Products have not been installed, fueled, started or ridden.

If any Products have been installed, fueled, started or ridden a return will not be accepted by Gasbike.net.

If any Products arrive damaged or defective or are found to be defective within the first seven (7) days of normal use, a refund, replacement or store credit will be given at the discretion of GasBike.net.

Return shipping and insurance charges are your responsibility. The shipping and insurance charges paid by you will NOT be included in any refund, replacement or store credit issued. Any Products returned freight-collect are subject to being refused

All returned Products are subject to a 20%-30% restocking fee.
Ref: https://www.gasbike.net/pages/return-policy

So if I buy these $139 mag wheels from Gasbike and they arrive broken or defective I have to pretty much prove that they are defective without actually testing them and hope Gasbike agrees with me and I have only 1 week to decide, get an authorization, and actually send it back, really? Only 7 days? I will also pay for return shipping and they will take a 30% restocking fee ($42) for the privilege to returning defective items to Gasbike for a refund. Isn't this policy pretty much saying: You get what you get and can't really return it? One good thing is that Gasbike does accept paypal so I guess I can always go cry to them if they are not delivered at all or the wrong thing shows up. Still, I'm tempted to take a chance anyway knowing that no matter what I get from Gasbike I will have to make them work on my own and can't return them.

Another thing to consider is that I don't really want the 44T sprocket. I've got a 40T on now and I wanted to go down to a 38T or a 36T so I would probably purchase a 36T sprocket at a cost of $9.42 (here). Now these mag rims come with a 36T sprocket and is not from Gasbike but they want an extra $43.60! They also sell these ones with no sprocket for $164.66, but that's still $25.66 more than the Gasbike ones and I still have to buy the sprocket. I would still need the freewheel for the peddle side and a single speed chain for the peddle side no matter which wheels I get but I wouldn't buy those things from Gasbike, I wouldn't want to confuse them with more items because it will only make the order more complicated for them causing a potential problem, haha.

Hmmmmm, maybe I will think about it a little longer. Keep shopping around? See if anything new comes out? Hmmmm, all feedback appreciated!

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just a word about wide tires on narrow wheels:

I'm running 3-inch tires (and love them) but to get the most out of them you really want a wide rim, like 2 inches (50mm) wide. The only ones I've seen that wide are from Felt and ain't cheap. A wide tire on a narrow wheel makes a "light bulb" shape that leaves air space between the tube and the rim. Handling feels squishy. You can get away with a 40mm rim if you run higher pressure.

I don't know how wide these alloy wheels are, but I'd be real surprised if they're more than 30mm.

You are 100% correct. What rims are you using for your 3 inch tires? Are they mags?? How wide are they?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You are 100% correct. What rims are you using for your 3 inch tires? Are they mags?? How wide are they?

Up front I have a Felt 50mm rim, the rear is a cheap steel 40mm. Both are laced, because I'm old enough to believe that bike wheels (moto and not) should be. The rear really should be wider, but the tire is awfully close to the chain as it is.

I bet that 28mm is an outside measurement and the wheels are the same as the ones from Berry.

Up front I have a Felt 50mm rim, the rear is a cheap steel 40mm. Both are laced, because I'm old enough to believe that bike wheels (moto and not) should be. The rear really should be wider, but the tire is awfully close to the chain as it is.

I bet that 28mm is an outside measurement and the wheels are the same as the ones from Berry.
Yeah, I was thinking that too, probably the same and probably not worth the extra money. So where do you get fat mag wheels? I guess I will just have to take a chance on the Gasbike ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back