Mag Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your self a favor and get these to go with the mag's they will last a long time with no issues!https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-...810449?hash=item41ed948f51:g:PtoAAOSwSSNbmtz1
s-l225.webp
s-l225.webp

Just to be clear, I ordered the MZ Miami ones, not the Gasbike hy22s---->https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Will the axles still be the same as the hy 22s and will I still need to order that axle set??

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Some great info in this thread. Looking hard at some of those new style MZMiami mags with the axle kit linked!

Just to be clear, I ordered the MZ Miami ones, not the Gasbike hy22s---->https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-BICYCLE-MAGWEELS-26-WITH-FREEWHEEL-22T-BLACK-COLOR/282949617027?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Will the axles still be the same as the hy 22s and will I still need to order that axle set??
I would think that the axle kit should fit all the mags currently out there as the hub's are pretty much the same,purchase of the kit will help make the bearings last and the wheel's usable for quite some time with out issues.You can use the stock axles but will have to sleeve them yourself if you want them to last!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would think that the axle kit should fit all the mags currently out there as the hub's are pretty much the same,purchase of the kit will help make the bearings last and the wheel's usable for quite some time with out issues.You can use the stock axles but will have to sleeve them yourself if you want them to last!
Okay, got it, ordered it, done! Thanks!

The reason for the bearing failures is the axle doesn't have a shouldered stop for the inner race. This allows to much pressure to be put on the inner race, and binds the bearing causing pre mature failure. I use a piece of aluminum tubing on the axle to keep the inner race form being compressed to a lesser dimension than the outer race stops in the hub.
View media item 61482

Wait, the mags don't come with that spacer? How stupid is that LOL.

These mag's have served me well and I have been shocked afew times buy their strength,I've hit some good pot holes being boxed in by traffic and no where to go that I thought may have done damage but no!There is a member here whom got in an accident that wrecked the front end and unfortunatly him a bit too but he said that the mag was fine LOL.Now don't get me wrong they are still not the best quality they could be but set up right witch takes some work like all things they are suited well to our use,I had to really set up the wheels properly and had always had trouble keeping wheels intact.The first issue I had noticed was the solid straight axle and just like Gary I sleeved them and set the lock nut with zero end play but just snugged up to hold everything nice so that if washers are needed to get the spacing right between the drop out's natural position not pulled in or flexed outward,then the wheel's outer axle nut is snugged and the lock nut held secure while the outer is tightened to the drop out and it's perfect that wheel will spin freely.The next issue I had was the fasteners for disc and sprocket I used some that I thought were good,longer allen head steel ones I had here because with the spacer between rotor and sprocket I needed more length and well my engine sheared those like nothing and I thought forsure when it happend due to the sound and all that the hub was done but NO! LOL the bolts all sheared just below the face so I extracted them drilled the hub a little deeper and ran the tap through so I could use longer bolts with a shoulder that just sinks into the hub and graded this time,no issues since.I had a video on here awhile back with the wheel after doing the fastener repair and checking balance YES balance is very important when trying to get up in speed!After about 45mph if your wheels aren't balanced properly it's not very likely your going to go much faster due to the engine now trying to over come the load of that inbalance on top of it's normal load.Un balanced wheels also make your ride un safe and ride like crap if they are bad.I'll re post the video and you'll see that the bearings set right and wheel balanced make's it run as free and true as possible.

I don't go completely crazy on my wheels. Mags are not suited for my preferences on a bike. I like the shifters. On the purple rear I have a mid range hoop rhino lite with DT Swiss spokes and ditch witch hoop on the front with same spokes. On the gray it will be rhino lite and DT front and rear. This bike is going through some changes. I rarely go over 45, but I get to it really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back