Mag wheels: Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreasyChris

Local time
1:05 PM

Anybody out there using this style mag wheel sold on ebay and bikeberry and others. They are cheap chinese alloy. My question is if you have these rims have you noticed any wobbles during wind gusts. I have experienced this wobble numerous times. Wheels are tight bearings are new koyo 6000-2rs. I feel it more in the front and notice it more on windy days with a cross wind. I think when the wheel is spinning the spokes block air flow thru the rim and create a wall and the wind pushes the bike. Gonna put the sole rims back on the bike and see if the wobble goes away. It's never consistent and I've been staying to notice it on windy days. Just wondering if any one else had experienced this? Everything is tight but there seems fo be lots of flex in the rim itself.

WOW if there is a wobble it seems no way to fix it. Wonder if you can use rim brakes on a mag wheel, curious? Why does that axle/nut look out of place in the pic? Do you have the axle centered equally in the dropouts?

Think it's just the pic. It's a shouldered axle so there isn't really any adjustment other than the pe load on the bearings. Like I said I really only notice it during wind gusts. It's pretty windy here today so after work I'm going to try it with my spoked rims. It's probably the cheap chinesium rims. Lol I'm surprised they spin as true as they do.

Sorry this is another comment from someone who has never tried this wheelset.

It looks like even though the spokes have some 3D shape in them, where they actually "attach" (I know it's actually probably monocoque) to the hub body they are completely flattened to a single thin disc, meaning there is insufficient lateral support at the hub-spoke area.

I have read (somewhere) that those wheels create some hideous turbulence when spun, but the spokes only cover so much of the profile of the wheel and I doubt they can catch a lot more side wind than a spoked deep aero section wheelset.
I would think the side wind pushing on the rest of the bike and rider is pushing sideways on the hubs to create the flex and instability, rather than the side wind on the wheels themselves.

Having experience riding on aero wheels (non-motorized ofc) I felt I'd chime in. A crosswind is where you know if they're viable or not. I found a regular spoked wheel is superior in any crosswind for maintaining control. The crosswind could be blocked by objects and then suddenly hit you when the object is gone (such as cars, spaces between buildings, breaks in shelter belts, etc.), or vice-versa, which can make for some seriously frightening situations when you are compensating for a sidewind that suddenly isn't there anymore.

Fat spokes, such as what mags have, are typically lousy in crosswinds, especially on the front. The shape of the flange where it attaches to the rim is most of the problem in your case, as it's acting like a sail, with the remainder probably being the shape of the spokes. I doubt those wheels were computer-designed with winds in mind, you could find that they generate lift with increase of speed, as I've read some mags do.

Well I just ride home from work and I was paying attention to the bike and the wind. I think your right Furry when the wind hits me and the bike is like the whole bike flexes on the rims. This was really noticable with the Top gun suspension forks I had on it, now with the triple te forks the whole bike moves. I highly suspect the wheels. They are made in China and they are cheap. Like a $100 a pair cheap. I'm gonna put my spoked rims back on and see if there is an improvement.

I'm very interested in the outcome of this experiment. I am teetering on whether to replace my wheels with a spoked set with the rag joint or going mad wheels. It is very windy where I live at times and I already don't like the feeling of that crosswind appearing and vanishing.

Man that's weird.I love the mags I've had the hy 22's on for 3 years now and they are still running true with no issues. As for the mags creating lift it's highly unlikely especially at the speeds most folks would use them at.A forward leaning body would have more lift than the wheels could ever create and even that is not enough to do much under 60.The mags impressed me for their smooth running and great roll out/coasting,they also were priced way cheaper than building up a wheel set that still needs regular re tuning and bearings done,other than clean the bearings each season I've not had to mess around with wheels witch prior to the use of mags would have been 2-3 rear wheels a season.Heck I redone 3 rear wheels for my buddy's 29er all ready this season and that's been in the last 2 months LOL.

Update: I put my spoked wheels on the bike and the same thing. Took the wheels back off and started disassembling the forks. Took the forks off and the bearing cups literally fell out of the head tube. Everything felt tight when together but im pretty sure bearing cups aren't suppose too fall out. Looks like im going to put new ones in tonight and try again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back