magna fix-d hybrid bike build and a gearing question.

eltatertoto

Local time
4:28 AM
hello all. sorry for starting so many threads lately, but ive finally (completely by chance) found pretty much the perfect bike for doing this. i was at work, looking for some pants and they were putting out dept C (target returns that they send to us) and i happened across 3 new bikes marked at $60.00. after my 50% discount, i got 2 bran new bikes for $60.00.

so as for the fix-d bike, i noticed that the one side has a fixed 20 tooth gear for if you want to be a hipster. before i cut my chain, and burn out my clutch, is there any possibility that this bike can power a 28" wheel with a 20 tooth sprocket? and if not do they make bike sprockets with more teeth? the O/D of the base of the sprocket is 1 5/8" and it has 3 notches like the crank does.

if a new sprocket is impossible, or the engine cannot power a 20 tooth sprocket (which i am guessing) i will go ahead and have my stock 40 tooth milled out to fit over the base of the bikes stock sprocket and then probably weld it to the 20 tooth to avoid bending the spokes.

here are pics. at this point all that is left is the chain exhaust and if i need to swap it, the sprocket. sorry i dont have more pics, after i took all the bolts that i removed from the old bike out of the oil, my hands were too dirty for camera work.

laurens new bike

and here are the innertube mounts wrapped in black tape, with the old bike in the backround.

well, if anybody was interested i figured out that the ring infront of the sprocket is backward thread, and the sprocket is normal thread. i took em off and the sprocket fit perfect over the threaded hub. the bike is done now, apart from the chain. im going to need atleast 6 links. guess ill be off to the motorcycle shop tomorrow.

well, i took her for her first ride off my block today to go buy some cigarettes.

after getting a better masterlink, mounting a mirror off of one of the scooters i used to have and making the clutch cable a straighter shot so it would be easier to pull. runs great. i was going down a 25mph road not topped out keeping up wiith traffic. so thats a good sign. i also bought a speedo/odo today for $10 at walmart. so i should know exactly how fast it goes tomorrow when i plan on taking it on a good 25 mile ride.

here is the pic from today. all locked up to a stopsign. no keys on something with an engine makes me paranoid.

also, here is a video i had the gf take the other day.

http://youtu.be/D2ugDHkF-GY

Back