Magneto contacts broken off. how to reattach?

F

Fabi F

Hello everyone, sorry if I sound like a noob, but I never did this before and english isn't my first language. Anyway, I built my first motorized bicycle from a 26" mountain bike. (It's the "standard" engine 2 stroke engine nearly everyone uses.) The bike didn't start and I noticed the little copper wire on the magneto was broken off from the magneto frame. When I was trying to solder it back to the magneto frame, the plastic from the magneto coil was melting and the top contact (where the blue wire is attached) came off. I simply reinserted it into the plastic before it got hard again. Then, I was trying to remove the white wire, unfortunately, the bottom contact (where the white wire is attached) also came off because the plastic did melt. Can I still use the magneto without the bottom contact? (I reattached the black wire to the magneto frame, so the contact would only be needed for the now removed white wire)

you need to test with a meter to see if you have the right reading between blue and that little wire at top of coil - if reading is good, then quickly solder a new piece of wire to little bit sticking out so you don't burn coil, then attach other end of new wire to frame of armature so that length of new wire allows more heat to solder without getting coil hot

you need to test with a meter to see if you have the right reading between blue and that little wire at top of coil - if reading is good, then quickly solder a new piece of wire to little bit sticking out so you don't burn coil, then attach other end of new wire to frame of armature so that length of new wire allows more heat to solder without getting coil hot
Thank you. But I don't know where to attach the lower wire. It's just copper left. Is there a diagram of the coil somewhere?

I believe once the plastic mesh has melted your Magneto has been compromised because that's insulation if memory serves correctly. And the white wire is used to run lights... Idk why they even put that in there because I've heard it robs engine of spark plug power. Get some dykes. Its an electric tool used for cutting electrical wires. Thats how you carefully cut and disconnect white wire at base of solder.
I'd get a new magneto if I was you.
If you do try to replace any of those wires you need the highest AWG possible. Bigger number are smaller wires. And I can't remember if magneto wire are stranded or solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back