Magneto fine, CDI fine, sparkplug fine, NO SPARK! need help!

skinnerman

Local time
3:55 PM
I did post previously on this but now I know what the real problem is, kinda.

My magneto seems to be working fine, I get around 30+ AC volts between the blue and black wires,
and the engine is properly grounded. But when I run all the ohm checks I only get 500 ohms between the black and blue wires
(red lead from meter on black and black lead from meter on blue) when I should 130k - 150k. The magneto is also soaked in oil, yet it still produces the 30+ vAC.

The kill switch is also fine. All the connecting wires are fine and there is no bare contacts or shorts.

The CDI shocks me really bad when I go fast, but when I put a spark plug on it, nothing happens,
and even when I hold the spark plug I don't get shocked. If I take the spark plug out and touch the contact
inside the spark plug cap I get shocked.

But there's no spark! Why!? (btw, I've done this test with 2 different spark plugs).

Last edited:
sounds like 2 bad plugs or a bad cap on your wire to the plug - try taking the cap off and wrapping the copper wire right onto the plug

oil on the mag usually means a crank seal is bad

500 ohms is acceptable for the stator coil (blue to black wires).
The CDI can output voltage enough to shock you but not enough to cause a spark. replace it

If my blue wire from the motor is cracked a bit and showing bare wire will that cause bike to lose spark randomly ?? Thanks

it could if it indicates other damage inside the insulation

Back