Magneto Generator Project

Chicken

Local time
8:06 PM
Ever since I built my motorized bike, I’ve been messing with the white wire trying to hook a small light to it. I eventually gave up cuz it kept on killing the engine.

Instead of robbing power from the spark plug’s magneto, I decided to make my own generator out of some wire (from an old motor) and thin sheet metal.

After all that, much to my disappointment, I only got .32 volts out of it. Is there something I did wrong? Was the wire too thin? Did I ground it incorrectly? I’d really like this thing to work. Hope the pictures help.

thanks in advance for your replies
-Sean

I finally took my bike out for a test, and the good news is that the generator produced a lot more voltage than my previous design. The voltage reading fluctuated A LOT but it averaged around 5 volts. The bad news however, is that it still couldn’t power my led flashlight. I also tried it on a small 3 volt incandescent bulb but still no go. At this point I’ll just stick with batteries :) Anyways, thanks for all who helped; maybe someday I can figure it out 😉
-sean

Just incase you laze out,
I can't for the life of me find this except for on Canadian eBay. Can I just order through Canadian eBay lol. It's in California from BoyGoFast but what the heck lol. I'm going to try looking on a "computer" instead of my phone.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back