Magneto nut spins in place

Fred bottom end. Tried undoing the magneto nut and it spins in place. Any info?
Probably stripped,you could cut it off or lift as you turn and it might thread off.I would cut it with dremel cutoff wheel ,cut almost all the way through and snap it off with pliers or vice grip to save the threads on crank.

If a nut or bolt spins in place, as street ryderz said, its most likely stripped. Before I ever attempt a chop job, first I try vice grips and pull out as hard as I can while turning, usually gets it off. Hope its the nut that is stripped instead of the shaft, although tap and die sets do exist if its the shaft. Only thing I don't like about this situation if it turns out to be the shaft, when a bolt hole strips and you gotta re-tap, it only gets stronger as long as there is enough meat surrounding the hole. When you gotta re-thread a shaft to a smaller size, it only gets weaker... For this very reason, I always try to use nuts made of a weaker metal then the bolt or shaft it's threaded onto, this way insures a cheaper fix. It's alot like how keys are usually made with a weaker metal than the shaft it's used in, cheaper (and usually easier) weak point to replace.

Last edited:
I suppose I would shove something (soft wood, popsicle stick?) under the magnet so the magnet is pushing on the nut and helping to lift it while I turn it.

I think it's m8 x 1.25
It was M8-1 on my crank. The fine threads must be the reason it keeps shearing. I got it solved by welding the two nuts to each other than to the crank because there aren't any threads on the crank anymore. If this bottom end goes out, I'm probably gonna go to a motorcycle (I'd love an old 2 stroke dual sport).

i want one of these

Attachments

• 8b74b735b602fb5b6668e4cf30d77e6e.jpg
    8b74b735b602fb5b6668e4cf30d77e6e.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 265
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 277
  • LC_FABRICATIONS_Harley_Sportster_Dirtster_BIGS_01.jpg
    LC_FABRICATIONS_Harley_Sportster_Dirtster_BIGS_01.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 281
Back