Maintenance questions, and air leak?

BountyHunter

Local time
3:48 PM
Hey guys, first post so excuse me if this is in the wrong section.
I'd say this engine has around 1000 or so km on it, and since day one I've had fuel/oil dripping onto the engine, not sure if it is from the spark plug, exhaust or crank case but I have made sure all is tight. The bike goes great but when I rev it it takes a second or so before it stops revving. My drive sprocket (the one on the motor not the rear wheel) seems a little too tight, but it could be gunk build up. Sorry for the overload, let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else.
Thankyou for reading.

first thing to fix is the leak - clean well with some gas on a paper towel, start bike and spot the very first place that oil shows up - fix that

Hey guys, first post so excuse me if this is in the wrong section.
I'd say this engine has around 1000 or so km on it, and since day one I've had fuel/oil dripping onto the engine, not sure if it is from the spark plug, exhaust or crank case but I have made sure all is tight. The bike goes great but when I rev it it takes a second or so before it stops revving. My drive sprocket (the one on the motor not the rear wheel) seems a little too tight, but it could be gunk build up. Sorry for the overload, let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else.
Thankyou for reading.
If a engine takes to long to return to idle it is a possible sign of a air leak. Especially if it has a slight hesitation or balk when you snap the throttle open quickly and then revs quickly and takes to long to return to idle.
The order I would look for the likely suspects are carb all the way on the intake and tight, intake tight and sealed to jug, crank seals, and you can also get a little extra air in through a faulty exhaust connection but the problem of slow return to idle is usually in the intake side cycle.
I don't discount the finding of the oil leak and it may or may not address the air leak, but I do think the priority of correcting the air leak is more important to the longevity of your engine. Lean engines live short lives.

If a engine takes to long to return to idle it is a possible sign of a air leak. Especially if it has a slight hesitation or balk when you snap the throttle open quickly and then revs quickly and takes to long to return to idle.
The order I would look for the likely suspects are carb all the way on the intake and tight, intake tight and sealed to jug, crank seals, and you can also get a little extra air in through a faulty exhaust connection but the problem of slow return to idle is usually in the intake side cycle.
I don't discount the finding of the oil leak and it may or may not address the air leak, but I do think the priority of correcting the air leak is more important to the longevity of your engine. Lean engines live short lives.
Thanks for the reply Gary, I'll try the water trick today and see if I can locate a leak.

Thanks crassius, will let you know what happens.
Cleaned it all up, turns out it was leaking from the exhaust manifold, I have 2 gaskets on it so I've taken one off put the exhaust back on. Seems to be fixed. As for the air leak I sprayed the screw cap/throttle on top of the carb, the neck of the carb and the manifold, no change in rpm. I sprayed the crankshaft, the head and still got nothing that points to an air leak. I'm going to give the carb/needle a clean for now.
:)

try spraying around the base gasket under the intake, I sometimes see some leaking there

Back