Long 8mm bolt(only threaded part way)
2/8mm nuts
Tyre valve(with metal cap)
Spring
Hose.
P1010093.JPG

P1010094.JPG

P1010095.JPG

I use a straw. I suck it out,spit it in a cup. About 20 times drains it completely.
It's fun!
The 7-11 straws are cool because it's extra long.
The McDonald's straws are cool too cause it's extra thick.

Another possible drain hose,made from:
Long 8mm bolt(only threaded part way)
2/8mm nuts
Tyre valve(with metal cap)
Spring
Hose.

I think both fetor's & HoughMade's ideas are superb but Fetor's transparent tubing wins because it enables you to see how dirty the oil is. The only reason I won't be doing either just yet is because I bought 20 strong earth magnets to put on my plugs and on the Honda I find quite a lot of metallic residue on the plug when I unscrew it for an oil change. I don't find nearly so much residue on the HS motor strangely enough. I thought this was because the Honda is more precisely engineered so the parts rub closer together but there is a small possibility it is because the earth magnet fits perfectly into the recess at the end of the Honda nut whereas the end of the HS drain plug is smooth and the magnet usually drops off the HS plug when I have to use a spanner to loosen it. I put it back on immediately before unscrewing the rest of the way but the momentary demagnetisation might account for less metallic residue. Whatever the reason I couldn't bear to change this magnet idea and am prepared to put up with oil all over my tray and lower frame parts as it drips into a plastic basin below. I put the bike on a workstand and run it for 10 mins with engine flush added before draining. Then I tilt the bike with the front wheel up and the back wheel down to avoid too much mess when draining. If I could adapt the hose idea to take a magnetised plug it would be ideal. I really love the ideas on this forum. Is your tyre valve a bike valve or car valve Fetor? Presumably you have to drill through the length of the 8mm bolt to make it hollow?

Last edited by a moderator:
In back of the hose, you can see an aluminum bracket screwed to the engine. That bracket is "L" shaped (upside down). Because I do not use the original air box, and i did not want the crank vent hose just open, I grabbed a PCV valve from the local auto parts stor to plug the end of the hose but provide venting. The "L" bracket supports the hose and PCV valve. Also, a 14 ga copper wire is twisted onto it. I just put a nut on the end of the petcock so the twisted copper wire loop would have something to go around.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

Thanks Houghmade, What is the gizmo I've annotated on your photo shown below? Is it some sort of little oil filter?

Attachments

• HoughMade's Method.jpg
    HoughMade's Method.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 256
That's the PCV valve hanging from the end of the aluminum "L" bracket. If I didn't want the complete "vintage" look, I'd go with the clear tubing too.

@Irish
It's a bike valve,just remove as much rubber as possible then burn the rest of the rubber off & then clean it up.

Your right,u do hollow out the bolt after you've cut it to length.....that was the trickiest part of the project(drilling precisely approx 50mm through the bolt)
I used a drill press that i purchased NEW from K-Mart for $20(it was the last one they had)

I've given it some thought previously & i can't think of a way to incorporate the magnet idea with the drain hose....hopefually someone else will.

Agreed that VERY LITTLE metal residue comes from the HuaSheng engine,that's why i swapped to the drain hose idea but i've never run that Honda engine pictured.
When my Titan(basically HuaSheng engine) needs a service i'll add a drain hose.

There are a few other minor parts used:
pipe tape for the bolt threat
acrylic resin glue when i locked the 2 nuts together.

Great how ppl from work together for a common purpose,should happen more often. :cool:

Thanks lads, HoughMade I should have guessed that it was truth to the period that stopped you using clear plastic tubing. I like how the hose goes around the seat tube - a nice touch that. I want to get my hands on some flickety dial speedos in metric km\hr for my Fosscati FG4 Billinudgel Bullets.
Fetor I think I'll change the HS to the drain pipe idea. I got a drill press from KMart too - a MacMaster I think it is and I've been drilling my 57mm holes in my rear sprockets with it but to drill through the middle of an 8mm bolt leaving 1.5mm around the hole would present problems securing the bolt vertically to the drilling plate. How did you do it?
I'd meant to ask you Fetor how you did the throttle on the Honda. I saw you'd taken off the governor completely. I've only done it by leaving the governor on and attaching a cable to it but my most successful method is to use a HS carby but I've run out of HS motors to rob carbys from. Houghmades method works well but it's a bit too finickity for me with all those springs & struts.
Re the drain plug hose maybe you could drill through an earth magnet on your drill press and put it either between the two nuts or between the nut & the washer.
PS: Here's how I drill the sprockets for the Nexus 7 hubs. I stick the drawing on the sprocket & drill straight through it cos it's at full scale. Setting the holes out would be too hard any other way.

Attachments

• Drill Press.jpg
    Drill Press.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 240
I havn't done the throttle on the Honda yet...i'm waiting for an Electra Cruiser i've ordered to come-in.....the latest from the dealership is sometime this month.
Once it's in i'll team the Honda with a Grubee kit i've got & possibly use HoughMade's throttle linkage idea(or make-up my own;depends)

We have the SAME drill press....if your going to go ahead with this idea buy a GOOD drill press vice,their invaluable(see pic)
Cut your bolt to length(approx50mm) then screw as many nuts as possible to it(probably 4) so your not putting undue pressure on the bolt when you've got it in the vice.
Preferably use cobalt drill bits and drill 2 small pilot holes from both sides(roughly meeting in the centre)
Expand those pilot holes to desired diameter.
You'll be putting the bolt into the drill press vice a few times so be accurate with it's vertical alignment.
P1010096.JPG

Governor:that small rod coming out of the engine(the one with the clip on it) is the driving force for the governor....anything externally connected downstream of that will immobilise the governor.
P1010094.JPG

Gotta go. :)

Thanks Fetor,
I'll get a drill press vice like that one but how does it attach to the drill press tray? It would need to fix to the tray to stay stable wouldn't it?
That Electra you're buying - they are so well made compared to the steel Schwinn D7 but they don't have front V-brakes or do they have to supply front brakes cos of Aussie laws. The Townie has hyraulic forks like an MTB with front V-brakes but the Californian Beach Cruiser model of Electra has rigid front forks with a head tube too long to take a springer fork. I couldn't go back to rigid forks after trying the springer although the difference in price is $400 between the Schwinn Alloy 7 and Deluxe 7 with a springer.
Will you not have problems fitting the Grubee tray on the Electra because of the tremendous length between seat tube and down tube? If you can get the Electra working for you I am really interested because frankly I'm sick of paying $820 for the D7 (I've bought three at that price) and then there were the three I tried to import from Indonesia when I lost $2000 in a scam. Electras may be expensive but the quality is so much better. I wonder can they take a 1 piece crank. I bought up 5 old one piece cranks from Bicycle-Engines.Com because now they only have those hideous 3 piece ones with short cranks and a spindle that I can't bear to look at even in welding goggles!
I'm very interested in what you do with your Honda because I'm looking for something better than a Schwinn D7 that is easier to build. If you ever get a Nexus 7 or 8 spd hub I'm your man for custom made sprocket mounting kit.
Incidentally the 48T rear sprocket is definitely better on the Honda than the HS. The 44T chainring that comes with the Grubee kit is fantastic on a Nexus 7 hub cos it allows you to pedal at speeds of 40 km\hr without pedalling in thin air but the hubs are too expensive to buy singly.
Oh yes, I forgot, I connected my throttle to the right hand side of the governor mechanism so the governor doesn't affect the throttle. I left all the governor in place but I don't know if I needed to. warren at ZBox could have sold me HS carbys but he's getting out of supplying Hoot kits cos of the life-threatening quality of the gear box.

Back