make your own torque pipe

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
made one of these the other day and would like to say theol you jag for sharing the design. It made a huge difference to my unmodded engine. Ran it without a baffle and holy moly its loud! Making a baffle later out of a wd 40 can will post a pic when done. Thanks again

If it is loud then you obviously did not make it with a belly stinger as I advised.
with a belly stinger you almost don't even need a silencer.

well here it is made it from an old piece of a barbeque. used 1.6 mm electrodes on an arc welder and as you can see the silencer is a wd-40 can with 5 bean can lids as baffles.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 364
It's a nice piece of home fabrication, using conveniently available material.

Where i live, there is no way the police would let me get away with that hanging off the bike, so i assume that in your location, you can get away with it.

i have come across plenty of cops and i always shut off engine and pedalled on never had any hassle yet! (touch wood) .

obviously i will be painting it and not leaving it like this but the reason its pointed up is to allow a nice size rack which will hopefully hide it more. all that said my last exhaust wasnt inconspicuous either so dot think it'll make much odds.

and yeah extremely cheap and easy to make for such a massive gain!

Fabian, with a belly stinger and silencer you would be in stealth mode and draw zero attention to the pipe.
With some ingenious disguising they wouldn't be able to see it either.
then, no noise, no exp-chmbr look, no problem.
don't seek reasons to fail, seek reasons to succeed.
now, about everyone else;
any normal person with a positive mind can make a torque pipe. Its the negativity that stops people cold.
I made my pipes without any pro equipment at all except for when I had a muffler shop curve the two header pipe sections for me.
Some people who saw it asked where I bought it from. ha! as if it was factory made.

ya i used the most basic tools and it only took a couple hrs to make i didnt have a pipe bender either so its not made exactly to your spec but still made a vast difference in power.

Fabian, with a belly stinger and silencer you would be in stealth mode and draw zero attention to the pipe.
With some ingenious disguising they wouldn't be able to see it either.

Because i use a centre stand, a belly mounted pipe wouldn't work. Secondly, i use my bike in off-road situations and mountain trails; needing all of the ground clearance i can get; making a belly mounted pipe impractical.
Doesn't matter which way it's looked at, my only option is to have a side mounted pipe, which defeats the concept of stealth, """unless""" the pipe is built into the bicycle frame, or put another way, the bicycle frame "is formed into the expansion chamber". This would be somewhat difficult but it's a concept that been going around and around in my head.

The only issue is that engine mounts would need to be formed into the "frame pipe" and the more tricky question of how the SickBikeParts shift kit would mount up to the frame.

Hydroforming the frame would largely solve most of these issues, but the frame would need to be double skinned to reduce heat transfer to the outer frame skin.
It would be a very complex undertaking but perfectly doable if you have fully equipped engineering facilities at your disposal without any time limit or a business model attached to the development curve.

Back